Why 3-piece rods in fiberglass

jwg

Curious if there is something about the material properties or any other reason so many fiberglass fly rods are sold in 3-piece configurations, while graphite rods are usually either 2 piece or 4 piece.

jay

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
I think it's just more of a classic format. Most early Cane rods seem to be either two or three piece. 3pc is also stronger than 4.

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
Curious if there is something about the material properties or any other reason so many fiberglass fly rods are sold in 3-piece configurations, while graphite rods are usually either 2 piece or 4 piece.

jay
I assume you are talking about contemporary rods. In that case the answer is no. There is nothing about the material properties that offers a significant advantage to a three piece configuration. I agree with the classic format idea. It helps set them apart from graphite.

Modern ferrules are light enough and flexible enough that they don't interrupt the action to a degree that is anything like older rods with softer fiberglass and heavier metal ferrules.

TC

Traditionally, bamboo rods over 8' were made in 3-piece format for convenience and transportability. Many of the old bamboo rods were actually designed around the ferrules, with reduced dimensions in the ferrule area to offset the additional stiffness of a metal ferrule. The early fiberglass rods were typically designed to mimic bamboo rods, so followed the same logic.

As Tim says, the integrated ferrules used for graphite and modern fiberglass rods are so light and strong that they have little impact on rod action. Modern bamboo rod makers are designing and making rods with graphite, fiberglass, and integrated bamboo ferrules, and also taped splice joints.

Tom

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
As mentioned, I'm assuming you're talking about newer fiberglass rods. Of all my glass rods over the years they've all been two piece except my travel/pack rods.

No idea on why they're 3 piece. Maybe to differentiate them from graphite rods?

Basically to eliminate the center ferrule and it's influence on rod flex. Graphite use to come in 3 piece (ex Sage SP series), but the consumer demanded better portability. I have cast 3 and 4 piece glass rods side by side and almost always favor the 3 piece.