Pattern Balanced Leech w/ dropper

Ian Horning

I concocted a sweet way to drop a second fly off a balanced leech.

Cut the bend off one hook, lay it flat on the jig hook, and tie it down. I super glue it so there's not a chance in hell it comes off if a piggie takes the drop. IMG_3651.jpg
This picture is @$$. Deepest apologies.

Cover it with your favorite leech dressings and wham-o.
IMG_3649.jpg
These two are tied so that a weighted dropper fly will balance them out. Tying the shank forward more will balance with a non-weighted fly.

In action:
IMG_3653.jpg

Have fun out there!

mtskibum16

I like the idea, but I would not be very confident in the strength of the dropper connection especially after some use. Consider leaving just bit of the bend on dropper eye "hook" to help reduce chances of a pullout if you hook a big fish on the dropped.

Ian Horning

I like the idea, but I would not be very confident in the strength of the dropper connection especially after some use. Consider leaving just bit of the bend on dropper eye "hook" to help reduce chances of a pullout if you hook a big fish on the dropped.
That's a solid idea, noted.

That was my first thought, but the connection only has to be as strong as the tippet between the leech and dropper - 5 or 6 lbs. It's not like the trailing hook on an articulated steelhead fly.

mtskibum16

That was my first thought, but the connection only has to be as strong as the tippet between the leech and dropper - 5 or 6 lbs. It's not like the trailing hook on an articulated steelhead fly.
Sure, but after a couple fish with that shank getting torqued around my thought is the glue will crack/weaken and lead to failure. Maybe it wouldn't, but I believe @Irafly was telling me about a similar experiment to add an eye mid-fly back before small jig hooks and the standard pin extension was a common option. IIRC the results were not ideal. Hopefully he can add to that.

Sure, but after a couple fish with that shank getting torqued around my thought is the glue will crack/weaken and lead to failure. Maybe it wouldn't, but I believe @Irafly was telling me about a similar experiment to add an eye mid-fly back before small jig hooks and the standard pin extension was a common option. IIRC the results were not ideal. Hopefully he can add to that.
I agree, the extension is a potential weak point. Why not tie the dropper directly to the eye on the jig hook? You could route the dropper tippet thru the eye on the pin, or just let it hang down.

I really like the colors of the leeches!

I just did a test--

25lb mono tied onto the dropper, lifting a 40lb weight. Picking up vertically, which would be the easiest way for the dropper shank to pull out, and the mono broke. The jig hook bent. The shank didn't budge.

Furthermore, rotating the shank on the leech that I fished and abused a couple of days ago proved fruitless without considerable force from pliers.

@MileHighFlyGuy the line through the dropper would work too.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
I did have options when I tried this, but I was using the balance as the bottom fly not the top fly.

Innovative for certain @Ian Horning but honestly in my opinion, not necessary. When you use a standard fly and tie in both your top tippet and bottom tippet to the eye of that hook, your bottom fly if weighted properly will pull down and make your top fly a horizontal pattern. I never fish my balance or my jig patterns as my top pattern.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Using a hook with a down turned eye will work better. No worries about your fly coming apart. Just a little helpful info.

Latest posts