Puget Sound

wanderingrichard

Kinda wish some of th whales that have been cruising between S Sound and the San Juans would head out west. T63 and T87 are life list whales for me. I got a distant glimpse of T87 a couple summers ago near the Brothers in Frederick Sound SEAK but it was almost more annoying than not seeing him at all.
Of all the times I've been off shore on a charter, or a guest on someone elses boat, all I've ever seen of whales were the spray from spouts .

But about 10 years ago, we did have a very large sea lion or elephant seal buzz our charter as we were on a drift. Probably went 1200 lbs and stayed around for about 10 minutes. Had to pick up and relocate because she put the fish down
But, that will stick with me for the rest of my life.

adamcu280

Of all the times I've been off shore on a charter, or a guest on someone elses boat, all I've ever seen of whales were the spray from spouts .

But about 10 years ago, we did have a very large sea lion or elephant seal buzz our charter as we were on a drift. Probably went 1200 lbs and stayed around for about 10 minutes. Had to pick up and relocate because she put the fish down
But, that will stick with me for the rest of my life.
That would have been a sea lion. Elephant seals don't buzz boats.

adamcu280

I see a few elephants every year, but always from a distance I'll see them lounging on the surface but its amazing how quickly they vanish when I get even remotely close to them
They're shy like that. Nothing like the sea lions that are always all up in your face. We saw a couple ELSE on Swiftsure the other day. Usually we know it's an elephant seal because the deadhead we thought we were looking at slowly slipped under the water, never to be seen again!

Last summer I saw an ELSE in Hood Canal. That was NOT expected.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
They're shy like that. Nothing like the sea lions that are always all up in your face. We saw a couple ELSE on Swiftsure the other day. Usually we know it's an elephant seal because the deadhead we thought we were looking at slowly slipped under the water, never to be seen again!

Last summer I saw an ELSE in Hood Canal. That was NOT expected.

Yep every time I see one while trolling for tuna it always catches my eye as a log that I need to keep an eye on and avoid. Then it vanishes.

adamcu280

Yep every time I see one while trolling for tuna it always catches my eye as a log that I need to keep an eye on and avoid. Then it vanishes.
Spoken like a true at-sea ELSE expert! :)

The best look I've had at an ELSE at sea was in President's Channel off the west side of Orcas Island. Big adult male that was taking his time slurping down a spiny dogfish. 2004, so before I had a dSLR and one of the few days I neglected to bring my slide SLR on the murrelet surveys I was running. I brought my camera every day after that, rain or shine!

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
I’ve seen them in Santa Cruz CA, they mate just up the coast at Ano Nuevo Island.

Another cool place to see a lot of them is even further south in San Simeon CA. There is a rookery viewing area right off highway 1. Pretty awesome sight. Those things are giant.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Fun day on the sound.
You’ve got to like when it starts out sunny, then Fogust shows up in May.
Lots of fry around and some getting hammered.
Plenty of jumping targets.
Some smaller fish mixed in so I bumped up the fly size to avoid them.
Ended up with over a half dozen decent size fish but nothing big. Did have one jumbo follow to the rod tip but it decided to not accept my invitation.
SF

AF8A408D-1A2F-41BF-85A0-1940E194A45E.jpeg 8690173D-BC5A-4115-9AF7-2332C09BD186.jpeg C5540811-3496-4C32-BD52-CBAEC7706982.jpeg 516E2D08-BBFE-4438-87F5-29B1EB0C059E.jpeg

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts