Puget Sound

jasmillo

WFF Premium
It's been easy pickings for feeding 2-5 lb resident coho and early pinks the past few days. Strange that so many resident coho are unclipped this year, I've only bonked one hatchery coho and released over a dozen unclipped "wild". Let's hope August brings a nice wave of big ocean coho into the mix.
I’m not exaggerating when I say my ratio of unclipped to clipped fish in that class has probably been close to 10-1 so far this year.

speedbird49

Some hatchery coho are adipose clipped, and others are not. It depends on the hatchery of origin. The majority of Puget Sound resident coho are hatchery raised.
What happens to the fish at the end of their life cycles? Since they were naturalized in the Puget Sound, as I understand they don't have natal streams

BriGuy

Thanks, DimeBrite. That's the way I read them. I was curious if there was any kind of exception for those unclipped hatchery coho. Of course, the seem to have little to fear from me.

sroffe

Nice to know that the little 8" resident coho punks I was catching all last year grew up and are somewhere else. I haven't seen any around this year when out. It's weird, where I have been fishing I'll see either Coho, or Cutthroat, but, not a at the same time. Not seeing alot of big cutthroat this year, but, managed to find a few.

Still waiting some salmon to come in for the BBQ. Went out last night nada. Wind made for a very bumpy boat ride in the 14 foot skiff.

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
There must have been a secret North of Falcon agreement on adipose policy

I have caught 2 unclipped coho this year (in area 10) that had coded wire tags. They were both obviously hatchery fish, with missing other fins. There are lots of unclipped little coho out there!

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
The regs that allow wild coho retention in MA 10 and MA 11 still seem odd to me, while MA 9 has wild coho release required.
If you just look at the Snohomish, Stilly and Hood Canal, the forecast is for a combined 117K wild fish this year.
I understand the Snohomish is the driving force behind MA 9 wild coho release.
If you take the mid and Deep South, the combined forecast is for 27K wild fish.
It isn’t like the Green, Puyallup and Nisqually have been great wild coho producers for a long time. The Puyallup being the best with a forecast of 10K wild coho. The Green is a whopping 1,500 and the Nisqually is 3,200.

I’m not advocating for wild coho harvest in MA 9, but more so interested in what drives the decision they can be harvested in MA 10 and MA 11 for that matter.
The numbers, at least to me don’t justify wild coho retention in 10 or 11.
Have they just given up on mid and south sound wild coho?
If that is the case, how about giving up on wild Stilly chinook as well.
You can also harvest wild coho in MA 12 but not in MA 13.
SF

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info