Puget Sound

holtad

Premium
Fished a popular MA9 beach yesterday from first light to about 10am. Not on fire but C&R'd two unclipped Coho in the #4/5 range and this nice pink which I gave to a gear fisherman. A few fish being landed around me. Mostly pinks but a few nice coho in the mix too.

Attachments

• pink.JPG
    pink.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 100

VMP

I caught one just like that, also in marine area 10 last week. Walleye pollock (Gadus chalcogrammus), no chin barbel, lower jaw protrudes beyond upper jaw are tell tales. First time for me as well, there were some suspicious marks on the sounder, I jigged on them and there it was. The fish checker at the ramp said people were reporting more P. cod, or hake this year, not sure the others but yours and mine are walleye pollock in my book. Below a link to WDFW species page with more geographic range, life history, habitat and other info:
https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/species/gadus-chalcogrammus#desc-range

1628210970603.png

Last edited:

Dizane

Coast to Coast
I caught one just like that, also in marine area 10 last week. Walleye pollock (Gadus chalcogrammus), no chin barbel, lower jaw protrudes beyond upper jaw are tell tales. First time for me as well, there were some suspicious marks on the sounder, I jigged on them and there it was. The fish checker at the ramp said people were reporting more P. cod, or hake this year, not sure the others but yours and mine are walleye pollock in my book. Below a link to WDFW species page with more geographic range, life history, habitat and other info:
https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/species/gadus-chalcogrammus#desc-range

View attachment 291162

Heard the same from the checker. I didn't examine it too close when unhooking and figured it was a cod at the time. At home I did some looking and came to the same conclusion on pollock.

jasmillo

Premium
Took the day off today with the intent of fishing from the boat but the foggy drizzle put me on the beach instead. After making a late call to go the beach route, I did not hit the water until 7:30 am. Although not off the charts, the fishing was good right at either side of the low. 5 keeper size rezzies in total. Biggest was maybe 3.5-4 lbs. 3 of the 5 were unclipped.
5DE2AFC3-5407-48A8-AA7A-870A15748E9A.jpeg
28B47886-24C1-42DC-A7D9-99CC1D204856.jpeg
453E12A8-FE9D-4EE9-ACDF-6FB0484B0271.jpeg

Also saw a fly online that appealed to me as a a good low tide option. Was looking for an alternative to clousers since I fish a type 3 usually. Tied a couple up and it ended up catching all 5 fish.

77797C68-C3AF-43A4-BF6E-DFC4CFBF988B.jpeg

Hopefully some ocean fish show soon….and maybe even a few more pinks to keep things interesting in the meantime ;).

Last edited:

Smalma

Based on just flesh color (orange versus red) 3 of the last 6 MA 10 killed by my fishing partners and myself were likely ocean fish. Interestedly the two largest fish (both 24 inches ) were resident fish - sockeye red flesh and the smallest (19 inches) was an ocean fish.

.Should be some interesting fishing the next 6 weeks!

Curt

Bagman

Took the day off today with the intent of fishing from the boat but the foggy drizzle put me on the beach instead. After making a late call to go the beach route, I did not hit the water until 7:30 am. Although not off the charts, the fishing was good right at either side of the low. 5 keeper size rezzies in total. Biggest was maybe 3.5-4 lbs. 3 of the 5 were unclipped.
View attachment 291266
View attachment 291265
View attachment 291268

Also saw a fly online that appealed to me as a a good low tide option. Was looking for an alternative to clousers since I fish a type 3 usually. Tied a couple up and it ended up catching all 5 fish.

View attachment 291267

Hopefully some ocean fish show soon….and maybe even a few more pinks to keep things interesting in the meantime ;).
How’s the finger cot working for you? What’s the head on that fly?

jasmillo

Premium
How’s the finger cot working for you? What’s the head on that fly?
The finger cot has worked out well. No bloody fingers since I started using them :).

The head of that fly is hot pink solarez in resin.

8835DB1A-B98D-440D-9C95-0B639EA3BE2F.jpeg

It’s based off this fly.

Fishing was tough today for fly fisherman with the wind. 3 keeper sized fish landed. All spread out by 2+ hours. All were unclipped. There were signs of hope though. There were a few spells where a number of fish were hitting the beach, especially from the buzz bomb guys.

F03F519B-1DC4-40D8-89D2-C32E231CD8A9.jpeg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts