Puget Sound

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I didn't know we had chinook and pink hatcheries in Central sound but that makes the most sense. I'd assume dark coho and chum are going to the multitudes of small streams we have

The only hatchery I know of that produces pinks is Hoodsport on Hood Canal.
Chinook can take on a bronze color in the salt prior to heading up stream.
Coho start taking on kind of a gun metal silver color and their scales start to set. Some net pen coho will get what folks refer to as sunburned since they swim around like lost children in the salt without anyplace to go and spawn. Generally they get scooped up in nets before they reach that point but not always.
I caught one yesterday that looked like that. Not a very pretty fish with the darker color and a red rash on its bung hole.
SF

Last edited:

Bagman

I didn't know we had chinook and pink hatcheries in Central sound but that makes the most sense. I'd assume dark coho and chum are going to the multitudes of small streams we have
There’s 2 hatcheries just down from me, I know one has chinooks coming in right now, don’t know any close by for pinks.

BriGuy

There’s 2 hatcheries just down from me, I know one has chinooks coming in right now, don’t know any close by for pinks.
The hatchery pens at Tumwater Falls are
The only hatchery I know of that produces pinks is Hoodsport on Hood Canal.
Chinook can take on a bronze color in the salt prior to heading up stream.
Coho start taking on kind of a gun metal silver color and their scales start to set. Some net pen coho will get what folks refer to as sunburned since they swim around like lost children in the salt without anyplace to go and spawn. Generally they get scooped up in nets before they reach that point but not always.
I caught one yesterday that looked like that. Not a very pretty fish with the darker color and a red rash on its bung hole.
SF

The hatchery at Tumwater Falls is full of big, dark Chinook right now. So, there are dark Chinook in the deep south Sound. Some of them are pretty beat up already.

jasmillo

WFF Premium
I can smell your back pack from here!

Wait, don’t we all try to keep sand off our dead coho by using our $300 backpack?

I actually believe you may be able to smell it where you are. The first year I bought it, I made the mistake of putting bonked coho in it while continued to fish and have never been able to get the smell out. I have given up trying! Needless to say, that pack does not come with me on MT or AK fishing trips :).

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
It was nice finally meeting you in person today @Stonefish. I had to fish until 2:30 to get my 1 keeper for the day. Let’s hope it picks up over the next couple of days....

View attachment 296233

Jason,
Nice to finally meet you as well. It has been a grind lately for me at least. I’m getting some fish but it hasn’t been easy, especially for this time of the year when things should be peaking.
Glad you found one later in the day.
That show the seals put on was very entertaining.
SF

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts