Puget Sound

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter

My entire life I have never cared much for crab.

Down here in Westport this season I'm sharing a house with a buddy who is a commercial crabber, and as such can bring home fresh crab any day he wants. He can keep all the large "soft shells" he wants as they aren't worth selling. Needless to say there's been no shortage of fresh crab for us.

I hadn't tried crab in many years and got curious a few weeks ago and tried a couple bites as the crew was sitting around the fire tearing through 15 or so fresh ones. I absolutely loved it, and proceeded to eat 2 whole crab without any issue. Ive been eating it regularly since.

I'm pretty excited about this change in my tastes!

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
WFF Supporter
I have to think one of the reasons Salmon and Steelhead don't do well is there is not enough wood on and in the beaches, rivers and estuaries. Did a low tide paddle today, every mostly submerged wood was a force of life creation- barnacles, crabs, disrupted flow, currents, silt stir ups, different mud densities, filters for downstream grasses, and brush. To think all those logging efforts that cut the tree, mound up the stumps and off cuts and leave them in mini piles to rot....they should throw some of those rootwads into the river, let them wash downstream, out into Puget Sound.

1593998490265.png

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler

Down here in Westport this season I'm sharing a house with a buddy who is a commercial crabber, and as such can bring home fresh crab any day he wants. He can keep all the large "soft shells" he wants as they aren't worth selling. Needless to say there's been no shortage of fresh crab for us.

I hadn't tried crab in many years and got curious a few weeks ago and tried a couple bites as the crew was sitting around the fire tearing through 15 or so fresh ones. I absolutely loved it, and proceeded to eat 2 whole crab without any issue. Ive been eating it regularly since.

I never liked it as a kid.
We used to go to a lot of all you can eat crab events when I was a kid because my dad loved it.
Crab Louies were a staple in our home.
I always ate a burger.....;)

It was’t until my 30’s that I started liking it. Now it is one of my favorite seafoods.
Tonight’s dinner, crab melts.
SF

38B580E9-43E5-4E21-A5AD-C3881AA1D093.jpeg

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
I have gorged on crab since I was a kid, every birthday dinner was at Seagally for all you can eat crab. Our 2 week boat camping in the San Juans every summer as soon as we hit the dock I had a folding star pot of the side and would make mom cook every crab I caught. With out fail we would go to a restaurant at Friday Harbor and guess what? I'd order crab, mom would be pretty grumpy by this point and make me get something other than crab. Which made me grumpy! HAHA
I had crab for dinner on Friday!

Buzzy

Crab with the ling cod? Been far too long since I've had fresh ling cod to cook (I know, another thread you mentioned it). My wife and I will take ling over halibut any day of the week.

Blktailhunter

Interesting that he is allowed to keep soft shells while recreational have to toss them back. Is this a ocean commercial thing? I once had a soft shell make into my cooler by accident when a newbie didn’t give it the squeeze test. Because they are not filled with meat they float when boiled and I found it to have an unpleasant texture. I like my crab to have a barnacle or two on them. Those are heavy crab and packed with meat.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Interesting that he is allowed to keep soft shells while recreational have to toss them back. Is this a ocean commercial thing? I once had a soft shell make into my cooler by accident when a newbie didn’t give it the squeeze test. Because they are not filled with meat they float when boiled and I found it to have an unpleasant texture. I like my crab to have a barnacle or two on them. Those are heavy crab and packed with meat.

Those soft shells are a bit creepy if you find them right after they molt.
I found one last year off the beach. Almost looked bleached out and at first I didn’t think it was alive.
The thing was like a super soft sponge with pinchers.
SF

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter

Ya they can keep them, they just have a hard time selling them. I dont know about the sound, but the meat on these is amazing. I dont know too much about crab but these are quite full of meat

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts