Puget Sound

Bob Newman

Early in my fisheries career I was part of the group that managed the coastal crab fishery. What Smalma posted is what enforcement used on the commercial fleet, the recreational fishermen, and the processors. When you get a real hard shell crab, I preferred barnacles and color on the shell to judge, you will see a big difference in how much meat you get.

The reason they can’t sell them is because the processors besides it being illegal, don’t get the meat recovery they need to stay in business.

Even if they are commercial fishermen, they can not keep more crabs than a recreational limit.

Last edited:

Rogue Fanatic

Well,I know I went out today in MA10 and baited pots with chicken, fresh salmon carcasses, as well as last years' ling cod and an albacore head and I had NO dungies at all. No shorts, no females, nada except a dozen red rocks or so over all 4 pots. I have been successfully crabbing in this location (except for the last 3 years) for 20 years. Anyone else having better luck in MA10? I don't want numbers just want to know if it's worth trying elsewhere or hang up the pots until 2021.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Well,I know I went out today in MA10 and baited pots with chicken, fresh salmon carcasses, as well as last years' ling cod and an albacore head and I had NO dungies at all. No shorts, no females, nada except a dozen red rocks or so over all 4 pots. I have been successfully crabbing in this location (except for the last 3 years) for 20 years. Anyone else having better luck in MA10? I don't want numbers just want to know if it's worth trying elsewhere or hang up the pots until 2021.
It’s been tough going on mission bar out of Everett this year lots of female but slim pickings on males. The tribe just finished their commercial season.

Smalma

Rogue Fanatic-
In early May I happen to run into a couple of the WDFW folks working on PS crabs. They reported that their late winter found very few crabs in South Sound in their test fisheries; only a fraction of a legal crab/pot/soak while in MA 8-2 they had nearly 2 dozen legals/pot/soak. That matches what I'm hearing from those that have been out crabbing - the further north the better.

bennysbuddy's report is hardly surprising - the amount of recreational effort is astounding. About 10 AM on Friday while running other errands I stop by the Everett launch - the paved parking lot was full, and about 2/3 of the grass over-flow was taken. That equates to about 325 trailers. There was a steady stream of boats taking out with even more boats waiting to launch. The vast majority of those boats had crab pots (4 pots/boat?) That is a lot of effort and represents only a portion of the total effort.

Curt

toadthedry

Is there any way to tell where the tribes have been crabbing around here? I have been out crabbing twice-two different marine areas (9 and 12 ) where I normally do well including going very early in this season which would eliminate recent recreational fishing as a cause of the very poor dungeness return in these spots. (There are I think more red rock crab this year than usual). So I am thinking either the tribes were at these spots crabbing recently or some other issue is at hand.
Thanks
Mike

fishy

I tried three of my regular spots in A-10, only northern spot produced a couple, two southern spots were complete blanks except rocks. Does not look good for central and southern A-10 this year. I expect the effort will fall off quickly, it did last year which was equally sucky.

Did run into this while soaking pots.

nookie.png
Dis me if you want for pic op but no nets ever used for wild fish on my boat, fish was tail wristed, supported and gently removed for no more than 20 secs, then released unharmed.....

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
WFF Supporter
Three Eagles by the wrecks, not shown were the two osprey and one great blue heron. On the big minus this part I'm in was basically a tide pool packed with perch, in the small patches of eelgrass they would leap out of the way of the kayak. the heron was just plucking them off, one by one...
1594670191257.png

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts