Puget Sound

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Much slower session today. Only fished about three hours.
I’m excited for what the four day holiday may hold. I saw two super size jumbos today show themselves.
Covered both with multiple casts but no bueno.
It has been a bit odd for me this fall. Usually when fish are showing they’ll jump on your offering, but only about half the time for me so far this year.

More litter then fish today.
I’ll keep the magnum size paint roller and single pink women’s Ipanema brand size 7 flip flop if anyone is interested. ;)
SF

F25EA65A-4897-4A18-9753-9A58E5F7F370.jpeg C2F041EA-C616-481C-AF13-23EB56739025.jpeg

Last edited:

Kfish

WFF Supporter
It's been a while since I got salty.
I saw a bunch of jumpers today as well but only got one to eat. All my hook ups didn't last for long, something to do with barbless long shank hooks? Is this the reason they are not used much anymore?

Scott Salzer

previously micro brew
WFF Supporter
No love for this guy, or the other guy flogging the water. Had a group of female teenagers decide to take a swim.
The “boys” would still be hiding. Ah, to be young again - nope, I survived the first time.

wetline dave

Well Scoot at least you had a change scenery at the park. From the description probably best no love, LOL. I don't think jail house orange is your best color to parade around in.

Dave

Stonefish

Nice day on the water today.
Almost too nice with glass smooth water and lack of tidal movement.
A few players around but overall a slow day.

B9BB8DA1-5869-4672-B1F3-0EB7820CD5A8.jpeg

Some interesting geology on one of the beaches I like to fish. I wonder what this beach used to look like a long time ago.
It looks like at some time, there may have been a pretty substantial earth movement. Land slide maybe?
Some of these roots are a good distance from the current edge of the beach and look it they’ve been there a good amount of time.
There are other spots on this beach where you can just barely make out the roots that are even further off the beach then these.
Anyone’s thoughts on this?

866A9364-1455-4577-9EA7-9C66239CDFA1.jpeg 524DAB99-170B-440A-BE8A-C586344ED264.jpeg D2AE87CB-2695-4D69-A522-37E7580BAFC1.jpeg 834F2F1D-428C-4F2F-AB87-2BCD038EAA29.jpeg 38D33A14-BBA3-4133-94DF-F67D6AFD4A3E.jpeg

The circle of life continues.

52DC3D91-4A2B-46F4-A5A6-31E7FBCBD3AF.jpeg

SF

JohnB

Stonefish is there a big bluff on shore or is it a pretty gradual beach? Sure seems like they grew there rather than a landslide?

nwbobber

On Long Island, in Willapa bay there are a bunch of these. I happened to be there on a day that a paleobotanist from UW was there. They said the trees were in the neighborhood of 2000 years old and the land dropped during an earthquake, drowning the trees. Only parts of the stumps and the roots are left. Maybe similar in the sound?

Stonefish

Stonefish is there a big bluff on shore or is it a pretty gradual beach? Sure seems like they grew there rather than a landslide?

John,
No bluff nearby. Very gradual beach.

It may be what nwbobber described.
These tree looked like they were growing there and something happened regarding land drop that put them in the salt.
SF

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
My now-retired colleague, Pat Pringle has done lots of interesting research on these "sub fossil" trees in the PNW. Two processes can lead to trees like these, both connected to plate tectonics. As strain builds up from plate tectonics in the PNW, sections of the NA plate are pushed up by the Juan de Fuca plate sliding underneath. An earthquake is one manifestation of the sudden release of this strain energy. After the earthquake, the land subsides. And along the coast, these earthquakes can trigger tsunamis that inundate the coastal forest with salt water and covers their base with sand. This leads to the creation of "ghost forests", such as this one near Copalis WA; it was creates when a massive 8.7-9.2 earthquake occurred on Jan. 26, 1700, the 1700 Cascadia earthquake. It was the last mega earthquake along the NA/Juan de Fuca subduction zone.
In addition, the lahars from volcanic eruptions can bury forests that are revealed as the covering sediments are eroded away.
Steve

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon2020

Honoring Vets

This guy, I call SUPER Nick Zentner from CWU, has a ton of good videos on the geology of this area.

There is one that explains that the sandstone from the Olympic Peninsula was pushed up from off the the coast of CA and then scrunched, and the coolest video of all..trying to find, is how the gold in Liberty has a likely tie to the super volcano that is Yellowstone.

The Yellowstone hot spot is not unlike the Hawaiian Islands chain forming, it sends up magma while the plates keeps moving. One of those areas that was once over Yellowstone ended up migrating to Liberty (head hurts pondering).

I am no geologist (brother is), but SUPER Nick makes it fun to visit geology and consider much of what you guys posted above!

Edit: Here it is !

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts