Puget Sound

NRC

WFF Supporter
I made a chum fry pilgrimage down to a new-to-me south Sound beach yesterday and had some pretty wild weather to contend with. The day alternated between calm and bluebird to November windstorm level squalls. While it made for some frustrating casting, it also resulted in some pretty spectacular rainbows. This was the best of them:
View attachment 274230
The fishing was pretty tough in the morning... basically just one fish rising that we threw just about every chum fry imitation we had at to no avail. I finally managed to trick it with a black Knudsen's spider with a dark duck flank hackle. This one had really pretty pink cheeks that the photo doesn't really do justice to.
View attachment 274231

Once the inlet started emptying out the fishing really picked up. It took a while but we had an otter and bald eagle to keep us company while we waited and several more rainbows, too. Most of the fish were in the 6-12" range but there were a few big boys thrown in there, too. They all seemed to like my simple little wood duck chum fry imitation
View attachment 274232

I hadn't caught a fish since early December, so it was a nice day of fishing to break the dry spell.
Love that little pattern, I will have to borrow that! The fry patterns I have previously tied tend to foul around the hook - which that one looks pretty immune to

keekster4504

Love that little pattern, I will have to borrow that! The fry patterns I have previously tied tend to foul around the hook - which that one looks pretty immune to
Thanks! I’m pretty happy with it. I tied a few other patterns which all fouled. But yes, this one was foul-free! Nothing worse than placing a perfect cast next to a rise and retrieving your fly only to find it no longer resembles a fish :rolleyes:

Not sure this pattern would be too effective for later in the spring when the fry are getting bigger. I tied this on a gamakatsu SP11 size 8, so I suppose it could get a little longer. It’s about 1.5”.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Almost like Van Gogh! Any filters or just raw?

A very cool shot Nick!

No filters but I did edit it a touch. Had to brighten it a bit, and use a healing brush to remove a few dust spots as apparently my camera sensor was a bit dirty lol. I also messed with the....highlights I believe, to make the fly line stand out more.

I was just saying that morning that I always struggle to take cool fog photos. Seems you have to get your camera settings just perfect. Lucked out with this one. Wasnt quite what I was going for but just happened to turn out pretty neat.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter

Once the inlet started emptying out the fishing really picked up. It took a while but we had an otter and bald eagle to keep us company while we waited and several more rainbows, too. Most of the fish were in the 6-12" range but there were a few big boys thrown in there, too. They all seemed to like my simple little wood duck chum fry imitation

I hadn't caught a fish since early December, so it was a nice day of fishing to break the dry spell.

Lots of smaller fish everywhere I went yesterday. They were eager to eat about anything we threw at em. Made it hard to tell if the bigger fish just weren't around, or if the smaller eager ones were just eating the flies before the bigger fish could get them lol.

Sure is a sharp looking boat there in the rainbow pic ;)

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts