Puget Sound

Albula

swollen member
Great shots, Nick. I wish I had a good camera some 30 years ago while on a steelhead trip to SE Alaska. My shop ran spring trips between Ketchikan and Petersburg using a 57 foot steel-hulled trawler as a live aboard. One of my anglers had an encounter with a beaver cutting that had torn a big hole in his waders. We were fishing a stream that emptied into a blind arm of Behm Canal south of Wrangell. As we had plans to relocate midday I decided give him my waders to use and remain on the big boat that morning to repair his and get them into the engine room to dry and also to tie some flies that we were low on. While sitting in the main salon tying flies I heard what sounded like small waves slapping against the hull of the boat and went outside to see what had caused the wake as there had been no motor noise from the others returning. It was a group of Dall's Porpoises cruising fast by the boat headed up into the end of the bay and about 50 yards behind, herding them, was a shoal of 5 or 6 Orcas. As I stood and watched the Orca's suddenly exploded into the group of porpoises less than 100 yards from the boat. I, to this day, retain a mental image of one of the Orca's coming half out of the water with the front of a porpoise sticking out of one side of his mouth, the rear the other and blood going everywhere. It was without doubt the most powerful display of Nature's cycle that I have experienced. It was all over in about 30 seconds and the Orca's turned and headed back out the small bay into the main canal.

Last edited:

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
A sound powered telephone on Puget Sound on the MV Issaquah, an Issaquah class WSDOT ferry
View attachment 279678
big piece of petrified wood and lots of beach glass. One piece was a marble, so clearly people have been tossing stuff on this beach to get beach-glassed
View attachment 279679

Nice haul of glass boot.
I always find myself looking for it while walking around on our beaches.
Finally found some reds pieces which have eluded me for awhile.....
Yellow is another tough color to find, at least for me. Marbles and stoppers are always bonuses.
SF

adamcu280

Here is link to great article by Linda Mapes in he Seattle times. Some fascinating information; https://replica.seattletimes.com/in...spx?guid=2ceafffc-2f52-4ae8-bdd0-77004364de02
"The rebound of marine mammals in Washington is not without its consequences.

Recovering populations of northern resident killer whales, sea lions and harbor seals on the West Coast have dramatically increased consumption of Chinook salmon in the past 40 years — a challenge for managers charged with protecting burgeoning marine mammals and declining salmon alike. Endangered southern resident orcas also have more competition for already scarce Chinook."

She didn't list any of the human (fishing, dams, deforestation, urbanization, pollution, etc.) or environmental factors (drought, changing ocean conditions, etc., some of which may be human-caused) that are contributing to the decline of salmon. Seems like a real missed opportunity to paint a complete picture instead of singling out marine mammal salmon predators as a scapegoat.

wanderingrichard

"The rebound of marine mammals in Washington is not without its consequences.

Recovering populations of northern resident killer whales, sea lions and harbor seals on the West Coast have dramatically increased consumption of Chinook salmon in the past 40 years — a challenge for managers charged with protecting burgeoning marine mammals and declining salmon alike. Endangered southern resident orcas also have more competition for already scarce Chinook."

She didn't list any of the human (fishing, dams, deforestation, urbanization, pollution, etc.) or environmental factors (drought, changing ocean conditions, etc., some of which may be human-caused) that are contributing to the decline of salmon. Seems like a real missed opportunity to paint a complete picture instead of singling out marine mammal salmon predators as a scapegoat.
Makes you wonder if she understands the term "Food Chain" in its entirety .

wetswinger

Fished the big incoming tide in Case Inlet from shore yesterday. Managed one nice SRC before this HUGE salad "raft" flowed in. This thing was even in the deep, I couldn't get under it. Every retrieve was fouled. Got discusted after an hour and went home. The current was moving along and this thing wouldn't stop. A true beast. Though I was crestfallen, I just find the Sound an amazing organism..

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts