Puget Sound

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
That's what I thought too but I'm rarely offshore at this point in a pink year. Well, whatever they are, they were everywhere. None looked bigger than about 18".
Missed that you were out on the bank. Still, I'm guessing that's too early for pinks. Maybe early stuart sockeye? There's gotta be someone on here that would know what you saw.

Chris Bellows

Your Preferred WFF Poster
Sometimes there are really big horse herring out at Swiftsure, but I’ve really never spent any time out there here this early in the season.

Could also be outmigrating smolts. I don’t know if some of the resident silvers migrate out that way occasionally, as I have a memory of talking to Les Johnson back in the late-90’s and a swear I recall him mentioning catching resident silvers out at Neah Bay, but if I remember correctly he was talking about inside the Strait... and probably back in the heyday of the resident silver program.

Wish I could be of more help as I never saw anything like that but my spring fishing was either well inshore for bottomfish or running to the charter spots for halibut (charters didn’t fish Swiftsure for halibut). I’ve spent a little time in other friend’s boats fishing halibut spots between Flattery and Swiftsure like Limp Dick but again, never saw loads of juvenile sized fish on the surface.

adamcu280

Well whatever they are they are plentiful. Never seen herring in the 18" range before but what do I know?

Definitely a lot of megaton air breathers out there which is what I'm focusing on.

TDB

Flounder Pounder
Well whatever they are they are plentiful. Never seen herring in the 18" range before but what do I know?

Definitely a lot of megaton air breathers out there which is what I'm focusing on.

Last year at about this time I saw some massive schools of silvers in the 18" range jumping around Sekiu. A bit further inside of course, but sounds like similar behavior.

adamcu280

Last year at about this time I saw some massive schools of silvers in the 18" range jumping around Sekiu. A bit further inside of course, but sounds like similar behavior.
Could be silvers. They're inside the strait too. We're in/out of Sekiu for the next three weeks.

SinglehandJay

Misanthropist

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts