Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Puget Sound

257K views 3K replies 240 participants last post by  speedbird49 
#1 ·
It is true.
The place sucks. Believe everything you've heard.
The ferry ride was expensive, no fish, traffic is bad, lots of people and the scenery is terrible.
Stay away for your own good......;)
SF

Cloud Sky Water Atmosphere Water resources

See less See more
#1,271 ·
The old girl was in a foul mood today with the big SW blow. Wouldn't have been fun for a lefty.
No fishing today but spent about three hours walking around a couple of beaches.

Cloud Water Sky Coastal and oceanic landforms Black-and-white

A number of people out recreating on the water.
Sailboats, jet skis and wind surfers.
Not sure what was going on with this fellow.
He was trying to walk along the shore with his equipment in tow while getting pounded by waves.

Water Cloud Sky Body of water Sports equipment

Water Cloud Sky Vehicle Coastal and oceanic landforms

Some where killing it.

Cloud Water Sky Parachute Kite sports
Cloud Sky Water Vertebrate Parachute

Lots of new beach glass getting churned up and exposed by the pounding waves.

Food Green Ingredient Dishware Cuisine

SF

#1,272 · (Edited)
Bart and I managed to get out on the south sound today. Amazing that we managed to get conditions like this squeezed between total nastiness this week.

Cold as all hell, but beautiful. Weak tides, but we managed to find decent action.

My ocean season is just a few weeks away. I'm sure looking forward to that, but will definitely enjoy as many days like this on the sucky sound as I can before then.

Water Sky Water resources Plant People in nature
Plant Water Terrestrial plant Grass Landscape

#1,279 · (Edited)
I think some folks use the beaches as their own compost bin.
I found a orange yesterday and also what looked like a very decomposed egg plant that just fell apart when I went to pick it up.
It also looked like someone had trimmed their ivy and mowed their grass and dumped it on the beach, which of course the tide had spread all along the beach.
I once observed a guy walk down to the beach in the fall and dump a bucket of rotten apples into the sound.

Really odd behavior by folks who live in nice homes on the beach but don't seem to give a shit about the beach itself.
That is the only explanation I can come up with as to how all this stuff like produce and yard waste gets on to our beaches.
SF

#1,286 ·
How was fishing?
SF
Cutts were pretty much awol today so we changed gears and went looking for coho. Fish were super spread out, and not showing themselves much, but we found enough to have fun.

And I may have spotted a weird little school of small, darkish fish with weird marks running down their back at one point this afternoon ;)

#1,308 ·
No filters but I did edit it a touch. Had to brighten it a bit, and use a healing brush to remove a few dust spots as apparently my camera sensor was a bit dirty lol. I also messed with the....highlights I believe, to make the fly line stand out more.

I was just saying that morning that I always struggle to take cool fog photos. Seems you have to get your camera settings just perfect. Lucked out with this one. Wasnt quite what I was going for but just happened to turn out pretty neat.

#1,305 ·
I made a chum fry pilgrimage down to a new-to-me south Sound beach yesterday and had some pretty wild weather to contend with. The day alternated between calm and bluebird to November windstorm level squalls. While it made for some frustrating casting, it also resulted in some pretty spectacular rainbows. This was the best of them:
Rainbow Water Cloud Sky Tree

The fishing was pretty tough in the morning... basically just one fish rising that we threw just about every chum fry imitation we had at to no avail. I finally managed to trick it with a black Knudsen's spider with a dark duck flank hackle. This one had really pretty pink cheeks that the photo doesn't really do justice to.
Water Shoe Fishing net Watercourse Fish

Once the inlet started emptying out the fishing really picked up. It took a while but we had an otter and bald eagle to keep us company while we waited and several more rainbows, too. Most of the fish were in the 6-12" range but there were a few big boys thrown in there, too. They all seemed to like my simple little wood duck chum fry imitation
Body jewelry Finger Gesture Thumb Pre-engagement ring

I hadn't caught a fish since early December, so it was a nice day of fishing to break the dry spell.

#1,306 ·
I made a chum fry pilgrimage down to a new-to-me south Sound beach yesterday and had some pretty wild weather to contend with. The day alternated between calm and bluebird to November windstorm level squalls. While it made for some frustrating casting, it also resulted in some pretty spectacular rainbows. This was the best of them:
View attachment 274230
The fishing was pretty tough in the morning... basically just one fish rising that we threw just about every chum fry imitation we had at to no avail. I finally managed to trick it with a black Knudsen's spider with a dark duck flank hackle. This one had really pretty pink cheeks that the photo doesn't really do justice to.
View attachment 274231

Once the inlet started emptying out the fishing really picked up. It took a while but we had an otter and bald eagle to keep us company while we waited and several more rainbows, too. Most of the fish were in the 6-12" range but there were a few big boys thrown in there, too. They all seemed to like my simple little wood duck chum fry imitation
View attachment 274232

I hadn't caught a fish since early December, so it was a nice day of fishing to break the dry spell.
Love that little pattern, I will have to borrow that! The fry patterns I have previously tied tend to foul around the hook - which that one looks pretty immune to

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.