Need a new rain jacket

COtoWA

This work thing keeps getting in the way
So add me to the list of people who have been car prowled, they got my Simms G3 jacket, Smith sunglasses, etc. last week. Glad the rods & reels were not in the truck at the time.
What alternatives are out there that have the functional qualities of the Simms jacket but not the $450 price tag. Must have good water proof fabric, multi pocket for some fly box, tippet, etc. and form fitting hood. Would like to keep it under $275 if possible.

svinyard

I went down this same route though I wanted it to be very packable, light enough to backpack with and be a bullet-proof water proof 3 layer ePTFE (Gore-Tex) jacket. I've had too many "ultra-light" non-3layer-ePTFE jackets become water-resistant whilst being on a 3day float. NOT cool. I also wanted it to work for doing alpine stuff etc etc. Simms jacket wasn't ideal as it was twice as heavy as much better jackets and sucks to pack down. I was going to buy the Arcteryx Alpha or Beta for 450-ish. Problem is that for fishing, its SUPER rare that my shell be a life-saving item and hated to spend that cash.

Enter the REI Ryholite. Its more breathable that the Gore-tex jackets but still a 3 layer ePTFE design. Its made out of eVENT which is a phenomenal product and used in many alpine gear companies stuff.. 12oz insted of 24oz and so far its been fantastic. I paid 160$.

troutpocket

Watch for sales. The best stuff can be found at 50% retail. Really liking my Patagonia super alpine jacket. Got it for <$300.

COtoWA

This work thing keeps getting in the way
Watch for sales. The best stuff can be found at 50% retail. Really liking my Patagonia super alpine jacket. Got it for <$300.
That's how I got my G3 it was the digital camo that was being discontinued had only paid $270

Last edited:

Bigfatrod

That's how I got my G3 it was the digital camp that was being discontinued had only paid $270
Ditto on the sale stuff, I came across a barely used Patagonia SST on the big auction site a few weeks ago, excellent jacket. It all just depends on what shape your lower back is in (i.e., how far you are able and willing to bend over and grab your ankles!).

Good luck.

BFR

holtad

WFF Premium
I'm a huge fan of Patagonia & I love the river salt jacket but I was also able to get it at a discount.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Robert,
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Personally, I hate bulky rain jackets for fishing the salt. I have a brand new River Salt I've never worn in the salt due to the bulk.
I like to go as light as possible and find I use my rain jacket more for blocking the wind and staying warm then staying dry.
My current Simms Paclite jacket is over 10+ years old and on its final legs of salt meltdown.
I liked it so much I bought a couple more on closeout.
The pockets might be lacking to you, but being light and packable is a plus.

Anglers Pro Shop has them on closeout on Ebay for less then a $100.00.

Good luck in your search.
SF

Last edited:

Old Man

A very Old Man
I used to just wear a regular rain coat, but after a good rain with it on it felt like it was raining inside of it. So my wife went out and ordered a Gore-tex one from Cabela's. I've had it for 6 years now and have yet to wear it in the rain. Since I'm retired now I don't even fish in the rain. It's like closing the barn door after the horse got out.

Bigfatrod

I used to just wear a regular rain coat, but after a good rain with it on it felt like it was raining inside of it. So my wife went out and ordered a Gore-tex one from Cabela's. I've had it for 6 years now and have yet to wear it in the rain. Since I'm retired now I don't even fish in the rain. It's like closing the barn door after the horse got out.
I also had a Cabela's Goretex that I got on sale for $100. Wore that thing for over 10 years before she finally gave up the ghost, great coat!

BFR

Salmo_g

WFF Premium
Redington has a good fishing rain jacket that so far compares favorable with the G3 and was on sale at STP a few months ago for $75 or less, can't remember exactly. My G3 may never wear out, but in case it does, I thought the Redington makes a perfect back up.

nailbender

Robert , sorry to hear about the stolen stuff. Always a bummer but at least they didn't break the window, or get any rods/reels.

Like Salmo said check out STP they have a pretty good selection. I recently got a river salt for a warranty return at patagonia, like SF said it is fairly heavy and would pretty much fill up a fishing day pack.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts