Washington state loses big legal battle over salmon culverts

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
well....it is after all, the 9th circus...I wonder what would happen if Inslee just told them to fuck off. What would they do, jail him for comtempt? On the other hand, Inslee in a striped suit?,,,,,,,,,,Hmmmmmmmmm

adding a good dose of reality, considering the state can't fully fund the McCleary decision, if you add this demand on top of everything else, where they gonna find the money? B&O tax increases? Catch card increases, or overall license fee increases? They sure as hell won't find it in an income tax-that wet dream was already shot down what-five or six times? It's all about the bucks, isn't it!

flyawayfish44

This is one of those things where I don't necessarily care about what effects this might have on our wallets and paychecks and licenses. If it takes the 9th circus to get the state to fix these culverts, so be it. If the state of WA had any kind of sense of responsibility, they'd have done it long ago. My only issue, and I'm not sure how much it bothers me as the years go on and fish continue to dwindle, is that there's going to be an increase in non-indigenous fishes in these re-culverted areas. But which would I rather have, fish that are not necessarily genetically native to a watershed, or no fish at all in the watershed?

Not just about the bucks. A lot of ethics involved in implementing a program that would have such wide-ranging effects.

redlodge

and what happens in a couple of years when the natives decide there are not enough fish for them. Who pays for that.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Removing culvert will do nothing to restore salmon runs when 80% is caught in AK and CAN.

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

We're at a time when every single fish that we can get back matters. There are many examples of smaller streams around the state that are under restoration, and have been for years, and some of these smaller waters are producing over a million juvenile salmonids every spring. In some cases the smaller streams, creeks and rivers, are producing more salmon, steelhead and trout than the big famous rivers. These impassable stream obstructions, failed culverts, etc., should have been repaired at the first sign of trouble. Now it has become a widespread problem, with terrible consequences. Do the right thing.

B

bennysbuddy

We're at a time when every single fish that we can get back matters. There are many examples of smaller streams around the state that are under restoration, and have been for years, and some of these smaller waters are producing over a million juvenile salmonids every spring. In some cases the smaller streams, creeks and rivers, are producing more salmon, steelhead and trout than the big famous rivers. These impassable stream obstructions, failed culverts, etc., should have been repaired at the first sign of trouble. Now it has become a widespread problem, with terrible consequences. Do the right thing.

Well stated, the state tends to focus on big projects that bring in media attention when often the small projects produce more bang for the buck. Even the drainage ditchs near my home at one time produced salmon.

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
We're at a time when every single fish that we can get back matters.

While I agree with your premise, I can't help but say "yeah, but not so much that we'll begin shooting all those sea lions, and chasing out the Chinese & Russian factory salmon harvesters.......Start with the sea lions, and I'm not talking about shooting them with a tranq and "relocating" the bastards. any old .30 will do-right in the head.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Nor do I disagree with the concept, but locations should be evaluated & prioritized. For the court to mandate that ALL must be done now is both fiscally irresponsible & ludicrous. As my old Boss & retired Master Chief once told me: "If you're worrying about everything, you'll do justice to nothing."

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
While I agree with your premise, I can't help but say "yeah, but not so much that we'll begin shooting all those sea lions, and chasing out the Chinese & Russian factory salmon harvesters.......Start with the sea lions, and I'm not talking about shooting them with a tranq and "relocating" the bastards. any old .30 will do-right in the head.

Do I have to state or make the argument again that this might be one of the most short sighted "solutions" constantly being proposed....

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts