NFR Woeful Mariners

IveofIone

Where are the Mariner fans during this record breaking streak? Five consecutive losses in which they have only scored one run. Even the 'glass is half full' guys are getting thirsty....

Salmo_g

Woeful doesn't begin to describe the Mariners this season. Locally the team is being called the Mariniers because they have called up all the talent from the Tacoma Rainiers AAA farm team.

IveofIone

Screw football. Seeing a dozen concussions every weekend and seeing guys become invalids in their 40's just isn't my idea of entertainment. At least some of the players are starting to wise up and are leaving the game while they can still walk and think. The average career of an NFL player is down to 2.66 years now having recently dropped from around 3.5 years.

I can understand the interest for football in Seattle though, the Seahawks have been relatively successful while the Mariners have been bloody awful. Their farm system seems to produce nothing and their trades are a gift to the rest of the league. With a lackluster manager and a clueless front office things won't improve any time soon and they put enough butts in the seats year after year that there seems to be little incentive to improve. As long as people pay to watch a loser why change?

Then there is the god-awful Dave Simms mangling the broadcast and the broadcast themselves being of about Double A quality with all their little tweets and twerks. Those amateur minor league broadcast have alienated a lot of fans who couldn't even enjoy them if the team was winning. The Cubs turned around the most miserable franchise in history in just 3 years. They did it with a good GM, a good manager and a good farm system. The Mariners lack all three of those components. Don't expect much more than what you see now.

KerryS

Ignored Member
They certainly need a manager. Servais isn't a manager and I think he is the weakest link. They have the talent to be a league mid pack team or at least on paper they do. Obviously they aren't playing close to that level. Lack of motivation, no debth in the pitcher position and shitty decisions have them bottom dwellers. They could have lost the game today in the fifth, no score, bases loaded, two outs and Sevais allows his pitcher to hit. He strikes out and the Nationals score two in the bottom of the inning.

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
Count me in as a person who does not think the manager matters much. Joe Torre will go down in history as a great manager. In fact, He just pretty much ruined relievers careers but the Yankees were able to get new ones every year with their money. Anyhow, I don't think they stink because of Servais. A manager is only ever as good as his bullpen and GM. Francona managed circles around Maddon last year in the WS and lost because he did not have the same team.

They stink because they are awful at player procurement and development. They rarely develop major league talent. Because of this they have to get free agents to fill the gaps or make trade out of a position of weakness. Cano and Cruz were excellent signings but there is not much else on the roster. They are in a 20 year death spiral. They are a toilet bowl that never completely flushes allowing it to be refilled. They just spin half empty and full of shit.

This year injuries have killed them but injuries are even more destructive when you have no organizational depth because you never ever develop a major league player. They should sell now and sell often. They need at some point to refresh their minor league system. The only player that I would hesitate to trade at this point is Seager but if the return is great enough, then let him go too. The bowl needs to be flushed.

They should also invest heavily in scouts and rethink how they develop players. They are awful at that. Even without all the trades that have gone poorly they have not developed enough players to be competitive on the ML level. Go ahead and envision the team with back Adam Jones and whomever else they've traded recently and they still stink.

With any luck, Epstien gets bored in Chicago. Being a highly successful NPR liberal from Boston, he could take a liking to the PNW (many others like him have). That may be their best hope at this point. Regardless, they may be better off blowing it up and sucking rather than sucking with this roster and a poor minor league system.

Go Sox,
cds

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I don't know shit about Baseball. I couldn't tell what each does because my memory is fading slowly. Well not really. It's just that the mariners suck big time. They don't even get a capitol letter on the M. The game yesterday they were ahead, I turned away for about 5 minutes and they were behind with the score of 5 to 1. They are proud of their pitcher as he only had 1 earned run. The other 4 came after an error.

They spent a month learning how to play the game and when the season starts they seem to forget how to play. I even quit watching them and I can get every game on Root Sports. I waste my watching time on something else.

They are in a 20 year death spiral. They are a toilet bowl that never completely flushes allowing it to be refilled. They just spin half empty and full of shit.
This made me laugh...very sad laughter. haha I'm a recent baseball fan after growing up with no professional sports nearby and parents that weren't in to sports. Luckily I've only had to endure a few years of them swirling the bowl. :D

Paul_

Um, as a life long Mariners fan, I think all you negative Nancy's are way off the mark. The M's are only 4 1/2 back in the wild card race. True Mariner fans (lifelong and browbeat) should be ecstatic, we still are in playoff contention and it almost June!;)

eplanajr

dot dot dot

Then there is the god-awful Dave Simms mangling the broadcast and the broadcast themselves being of about Double A quality with all their little tweets and twerks. Those amateur minor league broadcast have alienated a lot of fans who couldn't even enjoy them if the team was winning.

dot dot dot.
Completely agree with everything said.

I'm glad I'm not the only person on the #firesimms bandwagon.

Give this gem a watch....
http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/6/3/5776748/dale-sims-home-run-call

"Hey, Lloyd! Do some ... delivery. For the truck ... to the airport."

Latest posts