NFR Woeful Mariners

I have a friend whose son pitches for Oakland and he says the ball is slicker and the stitches are smaller/tighter. This makes the ball harder to grip and it moves less. Advantage to the batter
Pitchers have been complaining all year.

Shad

How about we try everyone using the same bat, a regular, old baseball, and somehow take PEDs out of the equation, then play ball?

That would sell THIS puke a few more tickets....

Buzzy

I like this Dodger team. Kershaw turned down the biggest pitching contract in baseball history because he didn't feel that just one guy should make all that money. Two or three other guys who could have left after last season for bigger contracts stayed because they wanted to finish the job they started last year. This is the type of team play I would like to see in all sports where the idea of winning for the whole comes before the all-I-can-get mentality of the greedy individuals.

The results of the lack of selfishness certainly showed up in this season's performance. This year's Dodgers exemplified the team concept and spirit. Too many teams are paying obscene amounts of money to aging superstars for past performance (Can you say Felix Hernandez?) while not having the budget left to obtain a quality supporting cast. Somehow the idea of leaving a winning team that was paying you 7 mil a year to go to a losing team that would pay you 9 mil never made any sense to me. Going 100-62 would make spending that 7 mil far sweeter than the bitterness of going 62-100 and trying to buy happiness with the extra cash.
Hey @IveofIone ! Game 7! Go Dodgers!

nb_ken

Hell of a World Series. Truly fun.

I was rooting for Houston, except in game 6. Didn't mind LA winning since that meant a game 7.

Best thing about game 7 was watching Yu Darvish get lit up. He was good for a long time with Texas. Beat the M's regularly. I'm sure he did the same to the Astros. Last few years, not so much. After what he did to us before, it's always fun watching him get pounded. Last night was no exception, That never gets old.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21703718/dee-gordon-traded-miami-marlins-seattle-mariners

Mariners get a stud..but he is a 2nd basemen...
Moving him to centerfield I guess. Odd, as he was a great infielder. Interesting move.
Dee Gordon and $1Mill in international signing money for 3 prospects. Now we have the largest pile of cash of all the teams into the running for
Shohei Ohtani.. Gordon is screaming fast and has some experience in CF. great lead off hitter and hell on the base paths. Good trade.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
Dee Gordon and $1Mill in international signing money for 3 prospects. Now we have the largest pile of cash of all the teams into the running for
Shohei Ohtani.. Gordon is screaming fast and has some experience in CF. great lead off hitter and hell on the base paths. Good trade.
Yes, just read that it added more money for Ohtani effort and have always been a big fan of Gordon, he is the ultimate leadoff guy!

Amazingly good news in the middle of Winter!

nb_ken

What's this guy's name? Ohtani? I want him in the rotation. I don't know what to think about putting him in the batting order. Been thinking for the last several years, Nelson Cruz can't keep going for another year. But then he does. If this Ohtani kid wants to hit, he has to wait until Nelson Cruz is done.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
What's this guy's name? Ohtani? I want him in the rotation. I don't know what to think about putting him in the batting order. Been thinking for the last several years, Nelson Cruz can't keep going for another year. But then he does. If this Ohtani kid wants to hit, he has to wait until Nelson Cruz is done.
It might be another case of a Jon Olerud, make him pick one or the other. That is why the national league is big plus for a guy like that. Hit VERY well for himself when pitching every 5th day, available for pinch hitting as the NL does a ton of double switches and uses pinchhitters more often. Madison Bumgartner from SF is a decent pinch hitting pitcher. A lot of neat possibilities.

Would be a great experiment !

nb_ken

Not a bad idea, even in the American League. Let him hit on the days he's pitching, and a bat off the bench the other 4.

If he is that good. Hitting in Japan and hitting in MLB are 2 different things. Ichiro did OK, though.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
Not a bad idea, even in the American League. Let him hit on the days he's pitching, and a bat off the bench the other 4.

If he is that good. Hitting in Japan and hitting in MLB are 2 different things. Ichiro did OK, though.
If he does only pitch in the AL and only pinch hit and not play the field, having a late inning pinch hitter available with big power is huge.

Baseball is not that stressful and have thought there would be more guys who pitch and play the field, both. A guy can stand in the outfield and not make a meaningful throw in half the games for sure.

I know I played a lot of snoozing games in centerfield when not pitching in American Legion.

Latest posts