The Giant Destroyer

Gene S

Road flares work well, too.
I remember watching old timers on the ranch hook-up a hose contraption to an old beater vehicle then stick the end of the hose into squirrel holes...but that was when vehicles would spew out all kinds of carbon monoxide.

Maybe another option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaEq3pVN_xE

Edit: Seems way pricey at $1300, maybe a small gas motor could be modified...

Last edited:

seattlee

I used giant destroyers for years with good success. Now I use my hand held map gas torch. I stick the torch down into the hole, half depress the igniter trigger to dispense the gas, count to thirty slowly, then pull the trigger to ignite. Simple, cheap, effective and fun with a touch of danger.
Yes, I haz technical question for yous @KerryS...when you ignite the gas, does the ground above the hole explode? My area of concern borders my neighbor's garden and I don't want their plants to become exploded. Otherwise, my torch for plumbing copper tubing should work?

KerryS

Ignored Member
Yes, I haz technical question for yous @KerryS...when you ignite the gas, does the ground above the hole explode? My area of concern borders my neighbor's garden and I don't want their plants to become exploded. Otherwise, my torch for plumbing copper tubing should work?
No ground exploding. Using a hand held torch and counting to thirty or forty doesn't deliver enough gas to blow the ground up. If there is another entrance to the tunnel you will have the explosion come out there and it can blow back from the hole you have the torch in so wear eye protection.

Gene S

The Richardson Squirrel population seems to be even larger than last season. I'm now using the mentioned smoke bombs in combination with conibear 55 traps around the house. In order to keep my cattle dogs from chomping on the critters and bringing remains to the porch I've made trap covers out of 2x4's topped with screen mesh and kept in place with rebar. The lighter weight conibear 55's most likely wouldn't cause damage to large dogs but small dogs would be a different story. Still use 17HMR's and 22's on squirrels in the back 40, have yet to come up with a reasonable alternative...
001.JPG View attachment 171161

There are a lot of gophers ( Richardson Ground Squirrels) in SW MT this year. I've made 4" pvc T's for bait stations but they don't seem all that effective. So now it's blast them with 17HMR's. I usually bag a couple dozen each outing but that is time consuming and a bit expensive after awhile. Conditions need to be just right for the little buggers to show themselves... warm mornings and not a lot of wind. Amazing the amount of dirt the little varmints can move in a short time span. Yup sure makes mowing a lot more difficult. They seem to prefer the front yard and not the back 40 :(. Think I'll try some of the mentioned smoke bombs.....
Daughter lives in far northeast Montana. "As far east as you can be before you start talking stupid" according to one friend. This past extremely snowy and cold winter eradicated the "gophers" from her place.
Wish that it had had the same effect on the ticks!

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
One side of my family is from northern N Dakota. None of my relatives there talked stupid, but I remember long car rides going to visit them, and having to pass thru a gray area where Far Northeast Montana segued into West Dakota, and we were asking, "Are we there, yet?"
Once there, we hunted "gophers" with 22 shorts, using my uncle's single-shot bolt action....about as fun as imaginable for a 10-year old!

Almost forgot to mention...I have a fresh pack of Giant Destroyers ready for deployment, now that I have mapped out the main mole tunnels!:cool: I'm taping each smoke bomb to the end of a stick, for easier placement. The only question that remains, is whether or not I will have a reason for existing after/if I eradicate the entire mole clan. Oh well. There won't be much left to do except head to the creek and play games fooling the fishes with fake food...

Last edited: