Trip Report Pensacola fishing pics

SilverFly

I just left Pensacola. I can say from experience there are no fish there. These are fake pics.
Did you fish offshore? Red snapper, amberjack, and grouper are relatively deep water fish - especially red snapper. From what I understand, the Gulf is typically pretty shallow anywhere nearshore, and slopes very gradually further offshore. Just a guess, but I'd imagine it's something on the order of 20-30 miles out to reach depths where these fish can be caught.

I'm sure I can put a fly past 150' in a light drift. So I'd actually like to hear some specifics from these guys as to depths, lures/baits used, whether they're anchoring/drifting/chumming etc.. etc... Not that I have any reason to think I'll be in that part of the country anytime soon but it's always good to have a plan in place.

Wish our ocean looked like that more often!

Last edited:

SilverFly

Pretty obvious it's a promotional post. Not entirely a bad thing IMO since I'm always interested in fishing new places. I've ended up visiting some places I never thought I would, and wished I had known more about what kind of fishing was available. So I'm open to hearing about what fishing options are available pretty much anywhere.

That said, if you're going to post an ad on a fly fishing site based on the opposite side of the country, you might be prepared to answer some fly fishing related questions. Think it's safe to say most fly fishermen, aren't the "bait my hook" types - even those who also fish conventional gear. Just speaking for myself, I want to know more about the species, fishing conditions, techniques used, etc.. etc...

I want to actually fish, not just do what a captain or deckhand tells me. Sure, I'll defer to their local knowledge and rely on them to put me on the fish, give advice, tips, whatever. OTOH if a charter is more about driving someone to a spot, baiting their hook, and letting them reel in the fish - then no thanks. Actually, fuck that to put it bluntly.

I for one would like to hear more about fishing in Pensacola beyond "this is what you can catch". Tell me more. How deep are you fishing, Are you anchored, drifting, chumming, jigging, trolling, casting plugs, fishing live bait, fishing wrecks, oil rigs, etc.. And of course, can I fly fish? If not why? Or at the very least why don't you think it's an option because there's a good chance you're wrong.

Let's hear some details.

Last edited:

Latest posts