Float tube recommendations

kurtataltos

I am trying to replace my current float tube, a BucksBag Mustang. I like the Bucks but the "high volume valve" is a pain and... it's leaking. My wishlist:
- open front... no requirement for a bar. If it has a bar, can be used without the bar. No netting across the front needed or required. Or could be left in the garage.
- lack of "gee gaws"... I don't want/pack/need 87 hang on devices, 3 rod holders, 7 D-rings, 5 handles, a cooler for a twelve pack, a depth finder, 3 cup holders and USB port. I need room for 7-8 small fly boxes. That's it. If I wanted a boat I would get a boat, or a pontoon boat. But I don't.
- I don't need to sit high. Many "sit high" tubes are a pain in the wind. Sitting lower in the water is fine with me and, actually, preferable. Sitting higher doesn't make be cast better (sorry marketing gurus). I cast fine.
- I had a StealthRider... possibly the best float tube ever made (IMO). Bladder failed after many years and they don't make them anymore.
- Had a Fish Cat... big, worked ok, big, a bit bulky, big. Sold it. Bigger is not better.

What I am looking for is a simple, no frills, lower sitting float tube that is reliable, preferably with a "normal" valve. That doesn't mean cheap. I would be willing to spend $89 or $439, to get the a simple, no frills, lower sitting, quality, open front bag. Suggestions and highly biased opinions sincerely appreciated.

Thank you !

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I concur re: the Stealthrider. These folks make a replacement bladder if you still have your 'Rider shell: www.wildernesslitefloattubes.com.

I have 2 and doubt I'll ever part with one. Those are my pack-in & breezy day tubes. I do enjoy my Super Fat Cat, however.

kurtataltos

Jim... just google searched on Stealthrider. Bigfishtackle has them, likely someone making them from the old design. I have never heard of "bigfishtackle" or whether they are legit. If you or anyone has any experience with Bigfishtackle please let me know. The tube.... looks very similar to the old-school version....

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
The only thing I found was what appears to be an old & archived BFT web page offering Wood River tubes, which sadly are no longer available..

Panther

bigfishtackle.com is very legitimate. It's a talk forum much like this one, but with fewer posts. If you go to their web page, you then click on fishing forums, and then on float tube forums. I don't think they sell float tubes or other products.

WLLLC

I am trying to replace my current float tube, a BucksBag Mustang. I like the Bucks but the "high volume valve" is a pain and... it's leaking. My wishlist:
- open front... no requirement for a bar. If it has a bar, can be used without the bar. No netting across the front needed or required. Or could be left in the garage.
- lack of "gee gaws"... I don't want/pack/need 87 hang on devices, 3 rod holders, 7 D-rings, 5 handles, a cooler for a twelve pack, a depth finder, 3 cup holders and USB port. I need room for 7-8 small fly boxes. That's it. If I wanted a boat I would get a boat, or a pontoon boat. But I don't.
- I don't need to sit high. Many "sit high" tubes are a pain in the wind. Sitting lower in the water is fine with me and, actually, preferable. Sitting higher doesn't make be cast better (sorry marketing gurus). I cast fine.
- I had a StealthRider... possibly the best float tube ever made (IMO). Bladder failed after many years and they don't make them anymore.
- Had a Fish Cat... big, worked ok, big, a bit bulky, big. Sold it. Bigger is not better.

What I am looking for is a simple, no frills, lower sitting float tube that is reliable, preferably with a "normal" valve. That doesn't mean cheap. I would be willing to spend $89 or $439, to get the a simple, no frills, lower sitting, quality, open front bag. Suggestions and highly biased opinions sincerely appreciated.

Thank you !

Really applaud the importance of a low center of gravity when visiting high mountain lakes which are often windy. I have experienced many a day when a high riding bulky float tube would have been impossible to paddle against the wind, if not downright unsafe with risk of capsizing in a brisk gust.

kurtataltos

Classic Accessories has a "Bighorn". I have no experience with it and haven't seen it while fishing. It's simple, could (hopefully) be used without the stripping/netting up front, but I have no idea of the quality of the bladder or the valve system. The search continues.... suggestions appreciated.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts