CARP ON THE FLATS

Buzzy

More like "weed whacking with a fly line" down here this year, but there are still fish to be hooked (but not necessarily successfully brought-to-hand :mad:) . . .
Jim - my last two outings I've had a hard time finding any fish to cast to. I think this is a temporary pause while the fish find sanctuary in cooler thermoclines? But I digress: weed whacking. One time my buddy and I were taking turns on the bow of his boat while we poled our way down a tule thick shoreline. The carp (post spawn) were mostly in the tules feeding on whatever they were feeding on. Each of us broke off several flies before our leaders were into thicker butt sections. You know what? That worker pretty well. We'd cast our weighted (woollyworms) into the tules in front of a fish, twitch and set the hook. We could pull the fish out of the tules (now - these were tules, not thick vegetation growing upwards in thick mats from the bottom) and on this particular stillwater, the fish weren't CR big.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I think this is a temporary pause while the fish find sanctuary in cooler thermoclines?
That would be my guess, Pat. The fish I'm into aren't in the big river, but are close enough to still be in cooler water. I'll find out if they are still frequenting that spot tomorrow - it's a bit breezy here today.

That would be my guess, Pat. The fish I'm into aren't in the big river, but are close enough to still be in cooler water. I'll find out if they are still frequenting that spot tomorrow - it's a bit breezy here today.
Did you find anything? We fished near levey on the snake Friday and found a few...they were in deeper water, not on the flats.

Last edited:

Buzzy

After a couple of disappointing outings, I found a few fish today. Three carp ate the little olive jig fly and so did three smallmouth. I didn't take a temperature reading of the water but I've had cooler baths (I'd guess the water was 75°F). The lake was flat when I got there and I could see a periodic surface disturbance maybe 200 feet offshore. I think a large school of baitfish were being attacked by bass. It was very cool. Saw a pair of loons within 50 feet of the shore, again, very cool.

DSCF0369[1].JPG

Two invasive species.........

DSCF0371[1].JPG

When the water gets above about 70°F these guys can put a heck of a bend in your 8 weight! @Engee was home working on his Harley; I guess it leaks oil?

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Attaboy, Pat! I'm on hold starting tomorrow until the fencing contractor is done - hopefully Wednesday. Reckon I'll drink a beer, tie flies & watch those fellas sweat, lol.

Just in time for the carp jamboree on Banks, the fishing has been pretty good on a few particular flats. Got 6 fish in an hour and a half yesterday. Stumbled on to one new flat (to me) that I'm not sure I would have fished had I not been looking for water that is protected from a south or west wind. All of those fish were in less than a foot of water.

Just in time for the carp jamboree on Banks, the fishing has been pretty good on a few particular flats. Got 6 fish in an hour and a half yesterday. Stumbled on to one new flat (to me) that I'm not sure I would have fished had I not been looking for water that is protected from a south or west wind. All of those fish were in less than a foot of water.
I forgot all about the jamboree until a couple days ago. We already booked a trailer spot at Curlew lake to chase bass and musky. Too bad, too. I would've ignored Banks lake and bombed down to my spot on the river. I know right where they're at. I landed six in two hours the other day after work, without even moving my feet. They come to me. I don't know how many I could land if I made it an all day thing. Average size is quite a bit larger on the Columbia, too.
You guys got lucky this time ;)

Buzzy

carp jamboree? Is this the outing the Blue Dun started years ago? Have fun!

Latest posts