NFR The Greatest Athletic Achievement of All Time

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
great read, thanks for posting

there was a great documentary on Netflix about the history of climbing walls in Yosemite.
(I think I posted the name in some previous thread, no time to look it up just now.)
Its a fun watch and gives context to a climb like this.
Meaning, instead of seeming crazy, a free climb like this fits into a history and trend, and someone was going to do it.
Cant recall if this climber was in that movie or not, but I think so.
Didn't he already free climb half dome?

jay

I think I have seen that, it is great. Even though I am not a climber, I started reading about him a while back when that famous picture of him stranding on a ledge on half dome was published.

In the end, I just find these people interesting. Someone like Alex Honold, those Russian dudes that do pull-ups on crains, etc. I know others put themselves in equally precarious situations; military, test pilots, etc. but stuff that has to do with heights just gets to me. Maybe because I am not the biggest fan of them myself...

crequa

Nothing compares to completely dominating the statistically best offense of all time as the underdog, they were literally scared

Charles Sullivan

Nothing compares to completely dominating the statistically best offense of all time as the underdog, they were literally scared
Oh, I dont know. Maybe a Superbowl saving interception by an undrafted free-handed who was better prepared than the pro bowl QB. Especially if you are only in the predicament that you are in because you just made a great pass break up that fell in the receivers belly.
That's the perspective from my seat.

Go sox,
Cds

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Greatest athletic achievement ever? Pfft. Clearly you've never seen me get my waders on.

Seriously, I know it's time to hit the treadmill when I find my self wet wading when it's 60 out :)....
This thread should have began and ended with the individual that set these NFL records.

Ehh, lots of help there. I guess it depends our how you define "athletic achievement".

majpreal

WFF Supporter
The title of the thread is highly subjective but I don't think there's much comparison to what Honnold accomplished compared to the career stats of standout player in a team sport like football. They are entirely different accomplishments. What Honnold did is mind boggling given that it was 100% him vs mother nature...and the stakes were much higher. Amassing multiple records in a sport like football is remarkable as well but any NFL player is surrounded by other talented people and dependent on those others (his team) to achieve the stats. Both are amazing; but quite different.

Last edited:

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
WFF Supporter
Ohh i get it. Just not as impressed by it as you. Americans spend a lot of time heaping praise on such people in such trivial pursuits and ignore accomplishment that mean something and make the world a better place.

I don't think you get it, for a number of reasons. But the obvious being the point of the thread.

The title is greatest athletic achievement of all time. Not greatest thing that has been accomplished to make the world a better place.

The title of the thread is highly subjective but I don't think there's much comparison to what Honnold accomplished

There is no comparison. That is one reason why I view this as the GOAT.

D

Deleted member 10700

Been following Alex Honnold for about 10 years, this climb is simply the tip of the iceberg. He is, IMHO, the greatest climber of all time. His photographer, Jimmy Chin, is pretty impressive as well.
Lots of great video out there about this guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crequa

Oh, I dont know. Maybe a Superbowl saving interception by an undrafted free-handed who was better prepared than the pro bowl QB. Especially if you are only in the predicament that you are in because you just made a great pass break up that fell in the receivers belly.
That's the perspective from my seat.

Go sox,
Cds
Shit happens, was a great game

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts