NFR The Greatest Athletic Achievement of All Time

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
Well..........Nik Wallenda scores pretty high in my book of greatest athletic achievements...over the Grand Canyon. 14oo foot walk over 1500' high. And, only with his feet! No hands!

Yard Sale

Huge Member
Risk factor seems to be a big part of this to people. Basketball players are widely considered the most athletic in sports but there is almost zero risk factor. This guy did a climb hundreds have done but his risk factor was through the roof.

Ever been to the beach in "high surf"? That's usually waves in the 20' range. Now think about the fukrs hitting 80' waves. That's a good combo of risk and athleticism.

obiwankanobi

Meh, rock climbing died the day helicopters were invented. Now you can fly up to the top of some mesa and have a romantic dinner for two and sip on strawberry champagne and not break a sweat. I'm sure that this guy has the grip strength to do chin ups on his wife's nipples but what is a true testament to athletic greatness is how many hot dogs you can slam in 10 mins. Joey "Jaws" Chestnut should be a hero in everyone's book.

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
WFF Supporter
This guy did a climb hundreds have done but his risk factor was through the roof.

Probably more like thousands have climbed this route. But pretty much all use some sort of aid technique to ascend. Like a nylon ladder that is clipped into the gear, climber climbs the ladder, places the next piece of gear, clips ladder to that piece, and so on.

There have been around 30 or so free ascents meaning that climbers are roped and place gear for protection but only use hands and feet to climb.

Then there is Alex. No ropes. Just hands and feet. And some really big balls.

jersey

livin' the dream
Who here can focus for 4 hours on anything... let alone a sneeze or slipped grip means, well you know.

This is truly amazing.

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
Who here can focus for 4 hours on anything... let alone a sneeze or slipped grip means, well you know.

This is truly amazing.

Can you imagine getting a muscle cramp in your calf during that climb?.... I think you would be totally f_cked. I don't think the kid is in the right frame of mind. Anyone that thinks death is an option can't be truly sane can they? I mean really. I think he is just plain stupid not to wear a chute. I don't think it takes balls to do what he is doing, it takes pure stupidity. Perhaps he should strap a vest with explosives on so he can blow himself up before he hits the ground when he falls. He will fall. Will it be the walls fault as a piece breaks as he grips for it, or will he just slip? We will never know unless his buddy films it....don't misunderstand me, I love watching this crazy shit!

Mike Ediger

WFF Supporter
Watching those free climbing videos makes my heart speed up, both my hands and feet start to sweat, and I get a feeling of anxiety. Just watching the videos. I literally can't imagine what that must be like. Amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Allen

If risk factor is what contitutes atheletic achievement then for a peace time champion one must look no further than Butte's own son Eval Keneival.

majpreal

WFF Supporter
Honestly, this shouldn't even be a debate... with room to spare no less.

You're right. There is no debate. A guy jumping over a stick 6-7 feet high onto a soft mat in approx 10 seconds cannot be compared to a guy climbing a 3000 foot, virtually straight up smooth rock wall with no ropes over the course of 4 hours and risking death with the smallest mistake. Respect due to Fosbury; he changed a sport, but not quite the argument I'd bring to the debate podium against what Honnold just accomplished.

Last edited:

jersey

livin' the dream
Records can and will be broken. Being the first to accomplish something can never be taken away.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts