Has anyone cut oars shorter?

Wondering if anyone has cut composite oars? Cataract's website says 'do not cut', but I have found a few posts from people who have done it. I found some 10' cataracts at a pretty good deal and was thinking of cutting 6 or so inches off the blade end and drilling a new hole. Wondering if cutting the oars down will change where I need the rope wrap and stop to be? Or if cutting them down will compromise the shaft somehow? Thanks.

Jordan

Last edited:

Shapp

Wondering if anyone has cut composite oars? Cataract's website says 'do not cut', but I have found a few posts from people who have done it. I found some 10' cataracts at a pretty good deal and was thinking of cutting 6 or so inches off the blade end and drilling a new hole. Wondering if cutting the oars down will change where I need the rope wrap and stop to be? Or if cutting them down will compromise the shaft somehow? Thanks.

Jordan
No you want to cut the handle end then re-attached the handle to the shaft If you really only want to cut off 6 inches, then leave them alone. I wouldn't try cutting them unless you want them a foot or more shorter.

I've cut down Cataract oars from 8'6" to 8'. I cut from the handle end, so I didn't have to screw with drilling new holes for the blade. I also picked up new handles fairly inexpensively, and epoxied those in with marine grade epoxy. It was pretty straightforward with a carbide blade on a chop saw and high quality epoxy. They've held up great. I was do for re-wrapping with rope, so did that after cutting. Good luck.

Latest posts