Bass Fishing 101

I've been fishing for LMB for a couple of years, an alternative since our drought has really affected trout fishing in the mountains. i have YET to catch LMB on a surface fly (except for 4-5 years ago when i first started fishing but this was at a pay to play pond tailored for bass fishing), and believe me, i've tied up a bunch of poppers including gurglers in anticipation. My buddy who fishes for bass at a more hardcore level (both fly and conventional gear) got me into this, and has always remarked popper action is fleeting, and really depends on timing of day and season (central california foothill lakes and reservoirs).

i HAVE been successful bassin' for LMB, stripers and spots, and could narrow it down to one fly if i had to. A flouro green and white clouser. with sinking line, 4 feet of 20lb straight flouro as a leader. Bass aren't shy like trout, and the heavy leader is to help pull free if you get caught up in weeds and other vegetation. tie them up on a jig hook so the point rides up, red dumbell eyes, vary your retrieve. boom.

eric
fresno, ca.

Last edited:
Well made it out for bass again today at a new lake. It was slow overall but we found some nice fish. @Josh Smestad took the award for first and biggest fish of the day. It came out from under a fallen log I wouldn't have expected to hold a fish. Took an orange and black popper.

This one was quite lethargic and came in without too much fuss. Josh nailed a slightly (but not much) smaller one shortly after that was a bit more energetic then it died down for a bit. I hooked up to a real nice fish that shook loose after a brief battle, then missed a classic blowup topwater bass take when I was being an idiot and not paying attention.

We moved to a portion of the lake with a steeper drop off beyond the docks and I started working one of Billy's bunny jigs in black. I had a subtle take and hooked up to what could have been the biggest fish yet and it put up a hell of a fight ending in a dive bomb for the bottom after faking being ready for the net and ultimately a slack line. That one hurt. Not long after that I had a follow from the biggest bass I've over seen. I noticed too late right as I was pulling the line up to recast. That one hurt even more. It was big!

We ended the day picking up a trout each on the way back to the launch. Not hot action, but quality over quantity.

No signs of small bass. What's up with that?

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
wow, u had a seller day, nice fish for your buddy!

I am in the same boat with you. Trying to figure out the largemouth.

My local lake has lm bass from fry to a rumored 6 lbs. I met a professional kyak bass fisherman on the lake last Tuesday evening. he was in a kyak, I was in my drift boat. he threw top water gear a lot
ng ways and retrieved fast, something I have seen othe gear guys do. he threw into places I would not have thought of. he took 3 nice fish. I missed one fish on my frog. I am hoping to land more decent large mouths this summer.

it is hard to throw out the big popper on the fast action 6 weight when I can be rewarded instantly with bluegill, perch and croppie with Small sreamers on an intermediate line or take them on the surface with small dries on cloudy or low light conditions

b_illymac

Member Active
Well made it out for bass again today at a new lake. It was slow overall but we found some nice fish. @Josh Smestad took the award for first and biggest fish of the day. It came out from under a fallen log I wouldn't have expected to hold a fish. Took an orange and black popper.

This one was quite lethargic and came in without too much fuss. Josh nailed a slightly (but not much) smaller one shortly after that was a bit more energetic then it died down for a bit. I hooked up to a real nice fish that shook loose after a brief battle, then missed a classic blowup topwater bass take when I was being an idiot and not paying attention.

We moved to a portion of the lake with a steeper drop off beyond the docks and I started working one of Billy's bunny jigs in black. I had a subtle take and hooked up to what could have been the biggest fish yet and it put up a hell of a fight ending in a dive bomb for the bottom after faking being ready for the net and ultimately a slack line. That one hurt. Not long after that I had a follow from the biggest bass I've over seen. I noticed too late right as I was pulling the line up to recast. That one hurt even more. It was big!

We ended the day picking up a trout each on the way back to the launch. Not hot action, but quality over quantity.

No signs of small bass. What's up with that?
awesome! I need to do a Westside bass tour! be cool to fish somewhere with tree cover.

flymen black heads. yellow bucktail out back with some copper flash and black schlappin. killer. View attachment 143196 I'll give you some if you guys take me fishing on this pond:D
That's a deal, but I have a feeling you'd be disappointed in a west side bass tour overall. Thanks for the inspiration, I need to tie some poppers up as well. What size of hook and popper head do you like?

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
Just went for my first bassin` trip yesterday with a friend. Didn't catch anything myself, but he caught 3 really big ones. It was surprising how close in we were to lilly pads and such! We were using crank rods & spinning gear, but I might think about dragging my 8-wt out. that ought to be able to throw a floating weedless frog with no trouble.

Latest posts