Best 3 weight rod?

Steve Slater

Just picked up a Winston Biix 386-4.

Now I need to find a nice reel to match this beauty. Leaning towards the Hardy featherweight. I'd love to find a Abel trout Creek de Young but can't find one.

What's the best line for this rod? I have a rio gold intouch 4wf line here.
Nice rod. I wouldn't recommend overlining with a 4 wt line, though. Winstons tend closer to the actual line weight, and don't usually do well with a heavier line. But many of the BIIx rods will do fine, and feel a bit faster, with one line weight lower. I don't have that rod, but I do have the BIIx 480-4 and have been fishing it with an Orvis Hydros double taper 4 wt. It's a nice setup with a Lamson LP 1.5 light reel. If it's going to be used on creeks for shorter casts, I like the feel of the DT line.

David Loy

Senior Moment
Can't imagine any graphite better than a good glass 3wt on small waters. But, enjoy. If it gets you into that micro environment, it's good.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock