SBS Mumford's Irresistible Grasshopper

ScottP

8916c7d4-1b3f-497e-a382-a4cee88a3fc0_zpsxe2x3nij.jpg

Found this in Trout Flies of the West. Original extended body was tied with deer hair spun on a core of non-tox which seems a bit counter-intuitive; switched to mono core and dubbing loop-spun deer instead.

hook – Dai Riki 280 #8
thread - UTC 140 yellow
core - 20lb mono
abdomen - deer hair dyed yellow
underwing - squirrel tail
wing - pheasant church window feather
head - deer hair dyed yellow
legs - medium rubber cornsnake

mash barb, start thread at 60% mark; put a loop in a piece of mono, brush with Super Glue, tie in, hook the loop in the gallows

IMG_7533_zpsoxvc4vwx.jpg

IMG_7534_zps9tdeqkni.jpg

IMG_7536_zps7lnfy92y.jpg

wrap up the mono (gap width past bend); make a loop

IMG_7539_zpsy16mez1g.jpg

clean, trim a clump of deer hair, insert in clip, trim ends

IMG_7540_zpskrst4dnp.jpg

insert clip into loop, release, spin

IMG_7541_zps2cc6rwfs.jpg

IMG_7542_zpskaaqniim.jpg

IMG_7543_zpsandtekms.jpg

wrap down the mono core, stroking fibers back

IMG_7544_zpsrp7gagov.jpg

repeat loop sequence as necessary; finish up at 2/3 mark on the hook, tie off/trim

IMG_7545_zpsiymzqijr.jpg

IMG_7546_zpseg0fsuog.jpg

IMG_7547_zpsv6nna6vh.jpg

trim to shape; trim mono

IMG_7550_zpswxebxl7g.jpg

move thread to eye; clean, stack, measure (shank length) a clump of deer hair; trim to length

IMG_7552_zpsgfn74dc4.jpg

2 soft loops around the butts, pull tight and let it spin

IMG_7553_zpsh8toc8j1.jpg

IMG_7555_zpschgvwums.jpg

clean, stack, measure (tips to butt) a clump of squirrel tail; tie in/trim

IMG_7557_zpsizkiyawe.jpg

IMG_7558_zpsdv93xc54.jpg

coat pheasant feather with Sally, stroke to shape as it dries; tie in/trim

IMG_7559_zpsajwf2hvk.jpg

IMG_7560_zpsc1j3rcpr.jpg

push deer hair back making sure it surrounds the hook

IMG_7561_zpsge6nqg82.jpg

pull deer hair to the rear, capture with thread wraps; pull tight

IMG_7562_zpsvmp8ocrj.jpg

IMG_7563_zps5nua67pk.jpg

IMG_7564_zpsxr4a0xku.jpg

add legs

IMG_7565_zpsxufikyh5.jpg

trim out deer hair underneath

IMG_7568_zpszjz9fh7n.jpg

whip finish, SHHAN

8916c7d4-1b3f-497e-a382-a4cee88a3fc0_zpsxe2x3nij.jpg

27680375-1be9-4afa-93c6-fa0aef9b118f_zpswbfxtlv9.jpg

9271f906-33f8-4e59-b045-51c77e644aa3_zpso6cok4hv.jpg

89b52f11-2210-483f-b448-087dc864fd57_zps27rzhc6l.jpg

Regards,
Scott

Big Tuna

Damn! You've got skills! I'm continually amazed at your ability to pick a pattern and tie it...well. Thanks again for sharing.

jersey

livin' the dream
Holy moly Scott, never saw looped and spun deer hair on a single pattern. That's cool.

john gates

Vw Bus driving(68) God Fearing Adventure Seeker
Well not to pick hairs but I think the non-toxic with the deer hair spun over top of it is ingenious. Non-toxic with the deer hair spun would give it a real neutral buoyancy. If you ever saw how far into the water a grasshopper "floats" I think a better description is half sinking down the river I am thoroughly convinced he was going for a really low profile. I think I'll play with that idea I really don't mean to be mean or something just thought I'd bring that side of the argument up. You do tai fantastic as always thank you for sharing it's fun to look at your ties thank you again.
John

ScottP

John,
Well not to pick hairs but I think the non-toxic with the deer hair spun over top of it is ingenious. Non-toxic with the deer hair spun would give it a real neutral buoyancy. If you ever saw how far into the water a grasshopper "floats" I think a better description is half sinking down the river I am thoroughly convinced he was going for a really low profile. I think I'll play with that idea I really don't mean to be mean or something just thought I'd bring that side of the argument up. You do tai fantastic as always thank you for sharing it's fun to look at your ties thank you again.
John

John,

When I said "counter-intuitive" I was thinking more in terms of ease in tying, not floatability. When I saw the recipe/description of the fly, I did a bit of head-scratching on how the fly could be tied, easily, spinning deer hair on a non-tox core. Maybe the deer hair was applied in a dubbing loop; I don't know because there were no instructions or tying sequence. If not, and Mr. Mumford spun the deer hair, my hats off to him; I sure couldn't do that.

As for buoyancy, even tied like this, the deer hair is going to start soaking up water after a few casts (and if I'm lucky a fish) and ride a lot lower in the water, more like a real hopper, although I don't want it to sink- I fish flies like this for the visual appeal of a surface strike.

I appreciate your thoughts/comments and would love to see what you come up with - this forum is supposed to be about tying and constructive criticism needs to be a part of it.

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts