Steelhead trout population declines linked with poor survival of young fish in the ocean

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Is that right. After all these years of habitat going to hell from over logging and fish runs going to hell also. They want to do a study. It's like shutting the barn door after the horse got out.

I can remember when you went up in the hills to fish and the Steelhead were up there in schools. They worked on cutting all the trees down and the fishing went to hell. I watched them work on restoring a small stream and the next high water washed it all away. Man can't compete with Mother nature so why do they keep trying.

KerryS

Ignored Member
N
I wonder if this is a thing that I'll ever get to see in my lifetime...
No. The number of things affecting steelhead populations are to many to overcome. The best we can hope for is to maintain current numbers.

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
N
No. The number of things affecting steelhead populations are to many to overcome. The best we can hope for is to maintain current numbers.

That's pretty much my take on it. Depressing.

JACKspASS

I wonder if this is a thing that I'll ever get to see in my lifetime...

Abso-freaking-lutely not. Those days are long gone. Population growth and habitat are trending the wrong way. Look on the bright side; we can fish for warm water fish within 5 minutes of any department/convenience store!

FinLuver

Researchers find declining survival of juvenile steelhead trout in the ocean is strongly coupled with significant declines in populations of wild and hatchery steelhead in the Pacific Northwest.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/06/170626093607.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+sciencedaily/plants_animals/marine_biology+(Marine+Biology+News+--+ScienceDaily)
I would add... as adults in the ocean as well.
Stop the commercial netting.

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
Abso-freaking-lutely not. Those days are long gone. Population growth and habitat are trending the wrong way. Look on the bright side; we can fish for warm water fish within 5 minutes of any department/convenience store!

Who doesn't love fill-dirt excavation ponds!

KerryS

Ignored Member
Who doesn't love fill-dirt excavation ponds!
Most of those ponds are settlement ponds that catch the runoff from the parking lots. They will usually be attached to some sort of biological treatment system like a bioswale. The pond and bio system combined will, through natural processes, remove almost all the contaminates the water picked up from the parking lot.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts