Rewrap a custom Sage Light Line, guidance please!

para_adams

I bought a Sage 389-2 LL rod custom built on a 389-2B blank. The guide wraps are not my favorite, to put it mildly, so I'm hoping I can strip the wraps and refinish the rod....without doing ANY damage to the blank. I have lots of experience stripping and refinishing bamboo rods but have no experience doing this with graphite and epoxied wraps. How do I safely remove the old wraps? Can the old remnant expoxy be completely removed without damaging the surface of the blank? Tips please. Thanks, Ron

John Parker

I watched one sell a couple of months ago and wondered the same thing, except I have zero rod building experience. It was very unattractive as well.
Does yours have green wraps?

para_adams

No help offered here, but after doing a lot of online searching I've got the question answered. Heat an epoxied wrap gently using my alcohol burner until the outer layer of epoxy softens, then use a plastic knife to scrape off as much epoxy as I can remove, then repeat two or three more times until the thread wrap can be unwound. There will be some residual epoxy left under and next to the wrap which I then can carefully reheat and scrape off. The last residues of epoxy can then be removed by rubbing with a DNA wetted towel which softens those remnants and allows them to be scraped off with my thumbnail or the plastic knife. A little final polishing with the DNA wetted towel and that section of the blank looks good as never wrapped. Sweet. The process is a bit time consuming but is not that difficult. I'm looking forward to recreating this old 389-2 Light Line into a new custom rod. Its gonna be a beauty.

That doesn't sound too complicated, I'd get into that.
G2 or G3 blank?
I've always wondered if there is much difference?
I wouldn't have anything but a 2 pc.
Are you going back all new hardware?
I'm already seeing the upside of rod building, get to buy more stuff! :D

Getting the wraps off is not the problem; getting the residual epoxy off the blank is a pain in the ass. There are variations to the technique that you posted above, but it's basically the one that pretty much everyone uses. I would heat the finish and scrape off the epoxy with your fingernail. Then I would pick at the wrap with your fingernail until you can get a thread tag, then pull the thread unwrapping the wrap. You won't need to clean as much of the epoxy as you can. I would caution that you'll want to be careful at the tip. I've never tried the DNA technique, but I think the brand of finish used may determine the ease of removal. But if the techniques works, then it should be a piece of cake. It looks like the wraps are metallic. That is another pain in the ass. Whomever originally wrapped that blank......yuck. When you have the blank cleaned up and ready to be wrapped, could you please post a pic? I would be interested in seeing it.
Tight lines,
Keith

Last edited:

para_adams

Thanks guys, I'll be happy to show pics as this comes along. I plan to replace the seat with a really nice uplocking, TiCH (medium smoke gray) seat with a dark rosewood insert which will match the dark red/brown shade of the blank. It will have a new cork handle pretty much standard Sage style. I've ordered a new set of guides, tip and winding check, all TiCH color to match. I splurged and ordered a 9mm stripping guide with cherry red agate which will also be blued to match the other hardware. Wraps will be dark brown, coated with straight varnish. I'll add the traditional Sage style off-white signature or trim wraps which I'll color preserve before overcoating with varnish. Lastly the hook keeper will be a ring style. Overall, a little more style than the factory rod but hopefully tasteful.

Sounds like a cool project Ron. How's your healing coming along? Good I hope!
Steve, thanks for asking. It's on track. The pace of improvement has slowed and now I'm getting a little impatient at times and push too hard and then feel like crap for a day, but that's all normal. The rod project will help focus my attention for the second month in this 2-3 month process. I can start doing some light casting in another 2 weeks...soon! Ron

para_adams

_23C8353.jpg
_23C8354.jpg
_23C8355.jpg
_23C8352.jpg
It's been an odd and slow moving summer for me, but I finally finished a little project to rebuild an old Sage LL 389-2, just in time to return to my 8-5 job. I removed the electric blue wraps and the cork/reel seat which showed a lot of excess glue. The remade rod sports a dark rosewood seat insert with TiCH seat hardware, new cork, TiCH winding check, TiCH snakes, a cherry red agate blued stripping guide and brown silk wraps. I also mimicked the standard Sage double white signature wraps just to bring the rod back to what I felt a 389 LL should look like. It's not perfect, particularly a lot of ghosting from the former electric blue/silver trimmed wraps. Somehow, the trim wraps seemed to be embedded into the surface of the blank . Oh well, the rod was very inexpensive for a LL and I won't notice when I'm fishing it. Pics...

Last edited:
It looks really good. A huge improvement over the original build. Nice job. I don't see any ghosting in your pics, but I may not be understanding what you mean. You didn't happen to take a pic of the blank after you stripped and cleaned it up, did you?

para_adams

It looks really good. A huge improvement over the original build. Nice job. I don't see any ghosting in your pics, but I may not be understanding what you mean. You didn't happen to take a pic of the blank after you stripped and cleaned it up, did you?
Thanks, and sorry, no photos stripped. The ghosting is mostly on the tip section and gets worse as you move toward the tip. My photos didn't show that part closely.

Latest posts