Scadden Dragonfly xtc3

Tony Mull

I have a predator pontoon. Served me well except I didnt like the foot bar. Since I mostly pack it, I replaced that with a piece of rope run through a piece of pvc. That lowers the footrest as much as you'd like. Now I have a 10 foot dragonfly 2 man. The frame is very adaptable as it can be set up for one or two with the standing rest forward or middle. This summer I did two solo wilderness floats in Alaska. The first a 4 day on the middle part of the Gulkana, class 1,2, 2+. The radt performed well, and due to low water that was a very rock laden float of 35 miles. The second float was on the Goodnews River, 1&2, 65 miles, and that one was 12 days. Again the raft was reliable. That river is not rocky but has a lot of wood, some of it whittled to sharp points by beavers. That gave me pause, but I managed to avoid them. I would have been more comfortable with a heavier raft in those cases, but on fly ins weight is always a consideration. I found the raft to be durable enough, it shows no wear to speak of, for the class 1 or 2 wilderness floats I'm interested in. The raft, new, was missing the stripping basket, but it came promptly when requested. I talked to Scadden once regarding a pinhole I put in the predator. He offered that I could ship it back for warranty or patch with aquaseal, as he would, and save a lot of time. Patch still good after 4 more years of hard use. The travel oars with the dragonfly a skinned up a bit, but I never felt they might fail at any point.

landlocked

I rowed a buddy's dragonfly for a 2 day float,and it was like a little Maserati compared to my drift boat. Only bitches was it was a little sketchy for a fat guy to stand up and trust that knee brace in the front and the stripping basket’s Velcro attachment tabs grabbed line easily. Overall a nice boat.

Greg Armstrong

WFF Supporter
I have a predator pontoon. Served me well except I didnt like the foot bar. Since I mostly pack it, I replaced that with a piece of rope run through a piece of pvc. That lowers the footrest as much as you'd like. Now I have a 10 foot dragonfly 2 man. The frame is very adaptable as it can be set up for one or two with the standing rest forward or middle. This summer I did two solo wilderness floats in Alaska. The first a 4 day on the middle part of the Gulkana, class 1,2, 2+. The radt performed well, and due to low water that was a very rock laden float of 35 miles. The second float was on the Goodnews River, 1&2, 65 miles, and that one was 12 days. Again the raft was reliable. That river is not rocky but has a lot of wood, some of it whittled to sharp points by beavers. That gave me pause, but I managed to avoid them. I would have been more comfortable with a heavier raft in those cases, but on fly ins weight is always a consideration. I found the raft to be durable enough, it shows no wear to speak of, for the class 1 or 2 wilderness floats I'm interested in. The raft, new, was missing the stripping basket, but it came promptly when requested. I talked to Scadden once regarding a pinhole I put in the predator. He offered that I could ship it back for warranty or patch with aquaseal, as he would, and save a lot of time. Patch still good after 4 more years of hard use. The travel oars with the dragonfly a skinned up a bit, but I never felt they might fail at any point.
Like Tony, I bought myself a Scadden Predator for it’s light weight, but for a different reason. I have a back issue that precludes me from lifting anything heavy or awkward. This boat is one of the lightest available pontoons out there and has worked really well for me. I bought it knowing the issues others have had with the company, but took a chance anyway because it’s just what I wanted. I’ve had no issues with the boat or with the company.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts