silverfly on the big island

Mems

Guy got to go out for a day of offshore action with my good friend Bob Duerr on his boat the "Mo Betta"

The day lookedpromising with a nice little rainbow over Pu'uo vent. Seas not to bad for Hilo standards.

Guy, aka silverfly got all covered up for the hawaiian sun. We ran south looking for big ahi. We were he first boat to hit "D" buoy and when we circled the yellow FAD the shotgun went off and broke the green stick and almost took the rod out of the boat, only to be saved by the saftey, but as Guy got to the rod the fish threw the hook, big ahi!

We trolled to another buoy that we knew had some finicky mahi on it. We finally got them on some bait, they refused Guy's beautiful flies. They had never seen such beautiful flies and were afraid to destroy them.

Can you see Guy's mahi?

A little easier.

Underwater shot.

Guy with dinner, yes the fish is out of water and has a big gaff in it.

Back at the dock, we ended up getting 6 mahi to 15lbs. Guy was good fun to fish with. He is snorkeling down at Kapoho today, hope he gets a couple of papio.

Meanwhile my friend's got this Ahi on the way back in. So we just missed something like this, but that is fishing. I look forward to fishing with Guy again in the future. Mems.

SilverFly

Thanks again Don and Bob for getting me out there! Came close to connecting on the fly but sometimes they just want meat. I'll never forget seeing that big school of mahi chasing those flying fish. Too cool. Blackened mahi was a big hit the next night!

20170721_142537.jpg

Also caught some fish back at the house on Kapoho bay. Not so thrilled to catch a cold/flu bug on the last night, but I'd rather be miserable travelling and at home. More pics coming when I feel "Mo Betta" ;).

Last edited:

DimeBrite

5X Celebrity Jeopardy Champion
Next time, Christmas Island. All flies will get chewed.

Thanks again Don and Bob for getting me out there! Came close to connecting on the fly but sometimes they just want meat. I'll never forget seeing that big school of mahi chasing those flying fish. Too cool.
Blackened mahi was a big hit the next night!

Also caught some fish back at the house on Kapoho bay. Not so thrilled to catch a cold/flu bug on the last night, but I'd rather be miserable travelling and at home. More pics coming when I feel "Mo Betta" ;).

Mems

Hey Guy, glad you had a good time, post some pictures of your Kapoho fish. Hope you got some papio. I have been doing well with bones this week. Got a couple yesterday and three the day before that. We are trying to get offshore soon, just have to see what the hurricane does. right now just looks like big surf. Don.

SilverFly

Hi Don,

Had a great time, thanks again!

I did get a decent papio on a spin rod popper, but not for lack of trying with the fly rod. The only fish I landed there on flies were hawkfish and saddle wrasse. Reef fish are tough to catch even with bait! Smaller flies would have helped, but still wasnt easy after I picked up some #14 baithooks at the local market. Finally started to get their number and caught several threadfin butterfly fish, more wrasse, and hawkfish. Also got an invasive, but very beautiful, peacock grouper (roi) on a spin rod popper.

Lots of fish in Kapoho. Saw an omilu I would guess at about 5lbs. Also on the last afternoon I was on the deck and spotted a pair of large snapper shaped fish cruising the shore. They were gone by the time i got down there, but so were the usual clouds of reef fish which supports the predator ID.

No easy (or safe) way to release fish in the water at this spot hence the quick out of water shots (except for the invasive roi).

5892.jpeg
5891.jpeg
2017_0717_14340200.jpg 20170721_115353.jpg

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts