Trout Spey.. Do you have one, your opinion??

So anybody worried swinging flies at trouts will get less effective as it becomes more popular?

Only times I’ve done it were on rivers not known for streamer Fishing. Highly effective. Just wondering if after a big trout sees something swinging right to him a few times he may get less inclined to go grab it.

Just a theory with no data or real thought behind it....

jersey

livin' the dream
Also looking for input on a decent 4wt for an upcoming trip. Want to keep budget friendly for the complete setup.

I'd like to cast the echo tr to see what it feels like. Any other recommendations for rods at a sub 400 price point?

fisshman26

So anybody worried swinging flies at trouts will get less effective as it becomes more popular?

Only times I’ve done it were on rivers not known for streamer Fishing. Highly effective. Just wondering if after a big trout sees something swinging right to him a few times he may get less inclined to go grab it.

Just a theory with no data or real thought behind it....
ummm no, after many years of extensive research on my home river it is still the most effective way to cover the water IMG_2752.JPG

David Loy

Senior Moment
4wt Microspey here. Have nymphed and swung streamers with it. Intend to try it with chironomids from the toon. The length will help with 15’+ leaders but not positive how it will work out. Also have the Beulah Classic 5/6. Great caster but kind of a “tweener”, trout/SH. I have the Airflo Switch Float and Streamer Switch lines for each.
NW - I do it purely because it’s fun. Most of the time I single hand. “Swing both ways, have twice the fun.”

Last edited:

almostacatch

Let it Angle on the Dangle
ummm no, after many years of extensive research on my home river it is still the most effective way to cover the water View attachment 158831
Reason enough for me!!!! I think that river made my favorite trout rod a 16' 9/10 GLX Greaseline (just cause I'm old school) Still rocking a Gaelforce line though. Its a cannon in the land where they arrest for a pea shooter, but hey at least I've still got my boat!!!

4wt Microspey here. Have nymphed and swung streamers with it. Intend to try it with chironomids from the toon. The length will help with 15’+ leaders but not positive how it will work out. Also have the Beulah Classic 5/6. Great caster but kind of a “tweener”, trout/SH. I have the Airflo Switch Float and Streamer Switch lines for each.
NW - I do it purely because it’s fun. Most of the time I single hand. “Swing both ways, have twice the fun.”
Is there a possibility of having problems netting fish with a spey from a pontoon?

the_grube

Is there a possibility of having problems netting fish with a spey from a pontoon?
I've fished my trout spey out of a frameless pontoon. It's a real challenge to get a feisty fish into a landing net. If you're wanting to bring 'em all the way in while fishing that way you can't be tippet shy. High stick the rod and get a hold of the line, that's the only option I know of. IMO, if I SDR (Short Distance Release) a fish that's a great result as long as the fish is unharmed.

I currently have a 8wt Redington Chromer 8136-4 that I have been using for Salmon and Steelhead over the Fall and Winter.

After fishing most weekends with it, I come to really enjoy Spey casting compared to singled hand.

I want to target some of the highland creeks/rivers and continue my Puget Sound cutthroat endeavors. Anyone have a good recommendation on an in-between rod that would fit the bill? Or should I go more for a 6wt for the sound and a smaller 3-4wt for smaller rivers and creeks?

Latest posts