New Orvis Helios 3 is out.

Dan Nelson

Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum
There is a 3d and 3f model
What's the difference?
The Helios 3D is designed for distance while the Helios 3F is designed for 'feel'. These really are incredible rods. Powerful, but great touch.

I spent the last week fishing the Helios 3F on the North Fork Clearwater and Kelly Creek. The H3F delivered on its promises. Fast, incredibly accurate, and able to deliver a soft presentation (both close-in and at a distance), the rod proved to be the favorite among our group out of the new models we had out for the trip – Redington Crux, Sage Foundation, Thomas & Thomas Avantt, and Winston Nimbus, as well as a classic 1963 Orvis Bamboo rod.

The T&T Avantt earned high praise as well, and the Nimbus is a sweet new all-graphite rod from Winston, designed to complement their higher priced Boron rods. The Sage and Redington rods offer simple fast-action casting power at a reasonable price.

http://www.orvis.com/s/helios-3/14729

I will take the '63 Orvis cane any time.Unless you are chucking in the salt and it is windy( usually it is in salt), you only need to cast 40-50 ft. when you are trout fishing streams...our eyes can only see little dries so far, and a dead drift is damn hard to do at 90ft.!
The point of fly fishing is to "slow down", to enjoy nature, appreciate the beauty, and get that "modern mind to turn off for a while".
The rod companies push to get a farther cast, with a lighter rod needs to stop! it is a silly contest that does nothing good for the sport.

Kyle Smith

DBA BozoKlown406
I will take the '63 Orvis cane any time.Unless you are chucking in the salt and it is windy( usually it is in salt), you only need to cast 40-50 ft. when you are trout fishing streams...our eyes can only see little dries so far, and a dead drift is damn hard to do at 90ft.!
The point of fly fishing is to "slow down", to enjoy nature, appreciate the beauty, and get that "modern mind to turn off for a while".
The rod companies push to get a farther cast, with a lighter rod needs to stop! it is a silly contest that does nothing good for the sport.
Try a Sage Circa or Winston Air if you think it's all about distance these days.

The Helios 3D is designed for distance while the Helios 3F is designed for 'feel'. These really are incredible rods. Powerful, but great touch.

I spent the last week fishing the Helios 3F on the North Fork Clearwater and Kelly Creek. The H3F delivered on its promises. Fast, incredibly accurate, and able to deliver a soft presentation (both close-in and at a distance), the rod proved to be the favorite among our group out of the new models we had out for the trip – Redington Crux, Sage Foundation, Thomas & Thomas Avantt, and Winston Nimbus, as well as a classic 1963 Orvis Bamboo rod.

The T&T Avantt earned high praise as well, and the Nimbus is a sweet new all-graphite rod from Winston, designed to complement their higher priced Boron rods. The Sage and Redington rods offer simple fast-action casting power at a reasonable price.

http://www.orvis.com/s/helios-3/14729
Did you fell the H3F was akin to the H2 "midflex" rods, or more a true tip flex but with a softer tip?

Dan Nelson

Did you fell the H3F was akin to the H2 "midflex" rods, or more a true tip flex but with a softer tip?
With the H3, Orvis seems to have moved away the 'mid flex" and "tip flex" terminology. That said, the H3F casts a bit like my H2 tip-flex MID-FLEX, but with sharp-shooter accuracy. Really, it's not a good comparison. I Love the H2 tip-flex MID-FLEX, but will likely never fish it again as long as I have the H3F.

Last edited:
t

With the H3, Orvis seems to have moved away the 'mid flex" and "tip flex" terminology. That said, the H3F casts a bit like my H2 tip-flex, but with sharp-shooter accuracy. Really, it's not a good comparison. I Love the H2 tip-flex, but will likely never fish it again as long as I have the H3F.
Thanks! That's kind of a bummer to hear though, I was really hoping the 3F 905 would be an improved version of the H2 905 mid-flex but without the slight, but annoying, hinge in the taper of that particular model. So basically now there isn't a single big name fly rod company with a top tier medium/fast action all around fly rod :(

Try a Sage Circa or Winston Air if you think it's all about distance these days.
I broke down and nabbed a Circa 7'9 2wt for a ridiculous price...have had it for a week and haven't been able to fish it yet...Frustrating.

As for Orvis, when I first started fly fishing, they were the pinnacle. I love their old graphite rods (the Superfines today, I guess); they're just a joy to fish...

However, ever since they introduced rods that sanded out the tape ridges on blanks and became an outfitter for the fabulously wealthy, I've wanted to hate them...But, whatever they do--clothes, briefcases, rods & reels, and customer service-- they seem to do very well.

The hatred just hasn't materialized.

Dan Nelson

Thanks! That's kind of a bummer to hear though, I was really hoping the 3F 905 would be an improved version of the H2 905 mid-flex but without the slight, but annoying, hinge in the taper of that particular model. So basically now there isn't a single big name fly rod company with a top tier medium/fast action all around fly rod :(
SORRY -- I meant to write MID-FLEX in that paragraph. The H3F is like an enhanced mid-flex H2.

suckegg

Fished the H3-5F and the H3-6D on the Missouri about a week ago. 5F was like a magic wand.. Merlins Scepter. Man did Orvis hit the sweet spot there. Good short, good long and the notorious Mo breeze was tamed. Going from F>D and from 5>6 was quite a jump IMO and the 6D has power and backbone to handle big steamers, tips and lighter bass duties in my quiver.

I liked the "feel" of these rods. Wouldn't want them any lighter. Easy to connect to, very user friendly, yet high performance as they should be for the price.

Fingers crossed in hopes of a one-piece 8wt...

Kyle Smith

DBA BozoKlown406
Fished the H3-5F and the H3-6D on the Missouri about a week ago. 5F was like a magic wand.. Merlins Scepter. Man did Orvis hit the sweet spot there. Good short, good long and the notorious Mo breeze was tamed. Going from F>D and from 5>6 was quite a jump IMO and the 6D has power and backbone to handle big steamers, tips and lighter bass duties in my quiver.

I liked the "feel" of these rods. Wouldn't want them any lighter. Easy to connect to, very user friendly, yet high performance as they should be for the price.

Fingers crossed in hopes of a one-piece 8wt...
That sounds like a nice, versatile pair of fly rods. Do you know what lines you were using?

Porter

yeah not a fan of the look but neither were many when G.Loomis toted out the NRX with Robin -egg blue wraps....yet somehow the performance of the rod outweighed cosmetic distaste. Have same feeling with the new Orvis H3. It’s performance will win over its new wardrobe.

Latest posts