New Orvis Helios 3 is out.

suckegg

That sounds like a nice, versatile pair of fly rods. Do you know what lines you were using?
I'll inquire, hang on. Guessing SA lines given the guide was a pro-staffer and the SA marketing guy was in the boat but we should know exactly which ones. The concept of line choices being paramount came up and everyone agreed there are plenty of good rods out and proper line selection is what gets the most of a given rod. I'd guess it was the Amplitude on the 5#.

As far as the logo/look goes it would not be my favorite but from a marketing standpoint..home run! Name another rod that identifiable at distance? Branding taken to a new level. All anglers who can't pass up the performance become billboards on the water.
Stand out on shop racks too.

Ed Call

Does anybody actually like Orvis?

^ Disregard this comment, I realized after I posted this that it was obviously not productive in any way shape or form.

However I much prefer the action of just about any rod over Orvis sticks - maybe I need to try the H3....
Claret colored zero gravity rods were perfect frequency harmony to my casting stroke. Orvis makes fine rods.

I went to the Bellevue store today and cast the 5F and 5D rods.
You can definitely tell the difference. I really liked the 5F.

Last edited:

Brian White

Recovering Bugmeister
I have a few H2s, including the saltwater 6wt and the 8wt, both in tip flex.
A few weeks ago I dropped by the shop to bs with Jason and cast the H3 8wt in D and F.

Have a shoulder problem I’m working through so casting is a bit of a grind (literally) lately, but in limited time with both rods, I found the 8wt D to be quite stiff, and the F more to my liking. Quite a difference between the two rods. IMO the H3 8wt D is also considerably stiffer from tip to butt section than my 8 wt H2 tip flex. Obviously your mileage may vary and my cortisone filled shoulder may have been lying to me, but the 8wt D felt like it would not really start singing until >40 ft or with a different line choice than the one on their demo reel.

The F had really nice feel in close, and still plenty of backbone mid to butt. I suspect it would not have the lifting power of a prototypical “distance oriented” saltwater 8 weight but I came away a) liking it a lot as a potential general use 8 wt, and b) wanting to try the 5F at a future date. YMMV.

Not a fan of the graphic, but someone who owned one would probably stop noticing that after a day.

Jason tried to convince me to hit Belize on an Orvis trip, which includes an H3 as part of the package. Not of interest for me (if I go somewhere tropical, I look for waves first, fishing second.....) but I’d encourage anyone interested to ring up their shop on that deal. It sounds like a very well put together fishing travel experience.

I had a hard time getting my casting stroke down with the H3 5D. It felt if you got your stroke down, you could really zing the line out. I was throwing a lot of tailing loops on the forward cast and big loops on the backcast. I was either using to much force or casting too fast and needed to slow it down.

I hear you about the graphic, and I'm also not a big fan of the rod tube being all white, which was for marketing. But as you said, I think that once I'm on the water, I'm not going to worry about the graphic on the rod.

jordan101

I am flying down to Andros Island tomorrow and started daydreaming about it. Looked out the window down at the Orvis store in Bellevue and decided to walk down and pick up the H3 8wt D rod and an 8wt bonefish line. I did cast the rod in the parking lot against the wind and rain. It did well. I am sure that it will do just as well in the Bahamas.

Rowland

Attachments

I am flying down to Andros Island tomorrow and started daydreaming about it. Looked out the window down at the Orvis store in Bellevue and decided to walk down and pick up the H3 8wt D rod and an 8wt bonefish line. I did cast the rod in the parking lot against the wind and rain. It did well. I am sure that it will do just as well in the Bahamas.

Rowland
When will you be returning?

Please let us know how the rod performed and what you liked and disliked about it.

Latest posts