SBS Deceiver Herring

mtskibum16

There are a ton of herring in the sound right now, and I've been messing around with some new herring patterns. I'd say this is still a work in progress as far as proportions, colors, etc, but this should help get you started. It's basically a deceiver pattern with a couple twists.

Here's the goal. This was my first attempt at this pattern and after getting chewed on a bit.

List of materials: Gamy SC15 size 1 hook (a bigger hook might be better), #5 Face Mask from fish skull, white saddle hackle, pink and chartreuse krystal flash, multicolored holographic flashabou, EP craft fur brush (chartreuse core, white craft fur), EP sparkle brush (silver), SF blend (chartreuse, bleeding mackerel, white), angel hair (blue/purple mix), lateral scale flash.

Step 1: Start the thread and run it back to the bend.
step 1.jpg

Step 2: Tie in four hackles. This determines the length of your fly. These are tied in a bit short probably. A total length of 2.5-5+ inches could be used.
step 2.jpg

Step 3: Tie in flash over the tail. I like to use multiple types and colors and cut them to various lengths for better movement and flash in the water. step 3.jpg

Step 4: Prepare two sections of EP brush. These are back to back and palmered forward together. Trim material for a tie in point as seen and tie them in at the back of the hackle tie in point.
step 4.jpg

Step 5: Wrap/palmer the two brushes forward. I use hackle pliers to hold them together. Tie off leaving a couple hook eye lengths to the eye of the hook. Comb out the fibers as they will be wrapped up.
step 5.jpg

Step 6: Add a stack of SF blend on the top and bottom. I tie it in in the middle, then fold it back. After cutting the SF blend, pull the fibers to create a nice taper. This was tied in a bit heavy, so try a bit more sparse.
step 6.jpg

Step 7: Tie in the darker back material going forward. This isn't really necessary if you use a darker SF blend in the next step, but it looks good. Note, this is where I started to crowd the eye. Don't do that. ;)
step 7.jpg

Step 8: Tie in the final SF blend colors top and bottom with a middle tie in. Add Lateral scale flash here too (not shown). Whip finish and cu thread.
step 8.jpg

Step 9: Slide fish mask on and add a thread dam in front. I also like to add a couple drops of super glue inside the mask before pushing it on. Test fit and make sure the material lays back the way you want before adding glue. Add eyes, trim SF blend to shape as necessary, and color the throat (optional). The hackle was tied in a bit short, and the SF blend a bit too heavy. If it's done right you get a killer baitfish taper.
step 9.jpg

Wet fly
wet fly.jpg

And a slightly more sparsely tied one.

Last edited:

mtskibum16

Great fly. I suck at tying synthetics but I might give it a shot. Thanks for the sbs
You could easily use bucktail in place of the SF blend. I do think the EP brush adds something to this fly - probably more if I hadn't overdone the SF blend. So go sparse as SF blend adds a lot of bulk with not much material. That said, a standard deceiver is a pretty great pattern too.

Kfish

Sweet SBS, I can't wait to try it.
Had no idea there were 4 hackle feathers in there.
Do you find superglue is sufficient at keeping the mask on especially if it gets whacked on the beach? :D
Thanks Matt!

mtskibum16

Sweet SBS, I can't wait to try it.
Had no idea there were 4 hackle feathers in there.
Do you find superglue is sufficient at keeping the mask on especially if it gets whacked on the beach? :D
Thanks Matt!
Yeah they're all clumped up when wet, but they swim like crazy in the water! Add a thread dam in front of the mask then UV resin the front including your dam and close up the holes that will be left over. I also inject UV resin down in to the mask from the back sometimes. I've never had one come off.

Matt, have the eyes been staying on the mask for you. I really liked the idea when they came out, but I figured the eyes would pop off after 2 casts. Are you super glueing then UV sealing over the top or what?

Eye's are my nemesis, I swear they only stay on for 2 minutes after they leave the vise!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtskibum16

@SaltyCutt
I've never had an eye pop off of a mask or my UV head flies. For the mask eyes: I superglue the eyes on, then coat them with UV resin and fill the space around them and the mask. For UV resin heads: I put the eyes on the fly head where I want them, then completely coat over top of them so they are encased in UV resin. Either option has been very durable for me. I've fished the fly at the top of this SBS for 3 outings on the beach and it's still going strong.

They seem to be more durable for me than the eyes on clousers. And the nice thing is if an eye does pop out you could just glue another back in vs a clouser being ruined.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater......Know Gizzler
I find the new soft rubber fish masks to be much more durable then the originals, which were hard plastic and not very durable for beach use.
Easier to get on certain flies as well due to their flexible nature.

I also find the new ones seem to run more true and straight then the originals. The originals had a tendency to make the fly wobble a bit on the retrieve.
SF

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater......Know Gizzler
Nothing wrong with fishing a stinger right now. You'll catch plenty of fish with them.

That being said, fish are inhaling the flies right now.
They are feeding heavily on sandlance and herring with head shots, so standard hook patterns are working well. Some of the flies are way down their throats and nothing subtle about the takes.

The stingers really shine the later you get into the season. They'll convert those plucks to hook ups.
SF

Latest posts