NFR Official 2017 NCAA College Football Thread

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
Interesting, going with a star alumni, can never argue with that I suppose
Pretty big step to give a guy a head coach position in the PAC 12 that hasn’t ever been a HC, alumni or not.
Sounds like Dennis Erickson might be on board as well to mentor him.
I hope it works out well for him. Liked him as a player, not so much as a OC.
SF

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
Pretty big step to give a guy a head coach position in the PAC 12 that hasn’t ever been a HC, alumni or not.
Sounds like Dennis Erickson might be on board as well to mentor him.
I hope it works out well for him. Liked him as a player, not so much as a OC.
SF
I prefer they not hire a wizard anyway and become a big power, sort of keep the (low) OSU standard alive !..bad, I know.

Erikson might pull an Idaho if they gave him a real job, advisor is good. Leaving the Vandals high and dry has some pals of mine smoked still.

I'm really getting the sense that college (or pro) coaches are much like pro quarterbacks and good left handed relievers-there just aren't enough to go around. Also, the Little League mentality seems to have hit the colleges in that everyone thinks they deserve a trophy. Why a 6-6 team is eligible for a bowl game I'll never figure out. Isn't 6-6 the very definition of mediocrity?

I'm really getting the sense that college (or pro) coaches are much like pro quarterbacks and good left handed relievers-there just aren't enough to go around. Also, the Little League mentality seems to have hit the colleges in that everyone thinks they deserve a trophy. Why a 6-6 team is eligible for a bowl game I'll never figure out. Isn't 6-6 the very definition of mediocrity?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Stonefish

Other then the big bowl games, many schools lose money going to them.
They are required to purchase tickets and if their fan base doesn’t travel well, that takes a big chunk out of the bowl revenue.
Now add in travel, lodging and feeding a team for a week.
The PAC 12 shares bowl revenues amongst all the teams, so by the time things are done there isn’t much meat left on the bone from some bowls.

Most teams don’t go to the lesser bowls for money.
They go for exposure and basically to get a bunch of extra practices out of it. Think of it like having a second spring ball where younger players can get more reps.
If WSU gets to spend a week in SoCal practicing for a bowl game, that is time well spent regardless of the costs because of the recruiting exposure.
SF

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...wl-games-make-sense-for-schools-sponsors/amp/

I attended a coaches clinic and heard Neuheisel give a session on clock management. I thought I was in grad school. Insane how much detail he had on the subject

Stonefish

Now the AD at Tennessee has been fired.
What a dumpster fire.
I can’t see any coaching wanting to go there right now without knowing who his AD is going to be.
SF

Latest posts