Yellowstone National Park begins rotenone use in Gibbon River 8/21/17

Dr. Jim

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/17044.htm

Their plan is to stock the upper Gibbon River (above Virginia Cascades) with Westslope cutthroat trout and grayling. Neither species are native in this section (above Gibbon Falls). Only the mottled sculpin are native in these waters. Will they salvage the mottled sculpins in this project? A similar project in Canyon Creek, a tributary to the Gibbon River just below Gibbon Falls failed in the past. This project is really an introduction of a species (Westslopes) and a reintroduction of a species (grayling).

Last edited:

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
There is another thread on this in the main forum. It will be interesting to see how all this stuffing the genie back in the bottle stuff works out.

Waters in YNP continue to warm due to (IMHO) Climate Change and geo thermal activities. What fish species can best adapt to these warming conditions? If the sculpin are best suited for this warming environment than so be it. Stocking any species that can not flourish in 2017 - Future conditions seems like a waste of time, $, and resources.

Dr. Jim

There is another thread on this in the main forum. It will be interesting to see how all this stuffing the genie back in the bottle stuff works out.
Someone posted this a day earlier than I posted, in the general 'fly fishing' forum. I posted it here in the 'conservation' forum. The conservation forum is the first place I look for topics of interest to me.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info