Critters

Greg Armstrong

WFF Supporter
Rough Skinned Newt.
Very nice photo!

Don’t ever eat one of these (whether “on purpose “, or inadvertently) or it could kill you. Highly poisonous from what I’ve heard and read.

I used to find them migrating across the road that lead into our neighborhood at certain times of the year. I’d usually stop to move them off to the side before someone would run them over. Many didn’t make it across.
Cool little critters.

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
Rough Skinned Newt.
Very nice photo!

Don’t ever eat one of these (whether “on purpose “, or inadvertently) or it could kill you. Highly poisonous from what I’ve heard and read.

I used to find them migrating across the road that lead into our neighborhood at certain times of the year. I’d usually stop to move them off to the side before someone would run them over. Many didn’t make it across.
Cool little critters.
I kept three of them for over a decade.

They were a lot more fun to watch than fish swimming around. Pretty funny with their antics. Fed them a tiny bit of hamburger every couple of days.

This was during my "moving" days so every couple of years I would drop them off at my parents house for a couple of months until I got situated. Showed my mom how to feed them and always got updates from her on their antics.

They bloated up...so I had a vet friend take a look at them. You know, most vet's know little about newt's and this was the guy that gave them to me.

They stayed bloated for about six months or so and then died one by one. If you can't keep fish due to high maintenance...try a newt.

Greg Armstrong

WFF Supporter
I kept three of them for over a decade.

They were a lot more fun to watch than fish swimming around. Pretty funny with their antics. Fed them a tiny bit of hamburger every couple of days.

This was during my "moving" days so every couple of years I would drop them off at my parents house for a couple of months until I got situated. Showed my mom how to feed them and always got updates from her on their antics.

They bloated up...so I had a vet friend take a look at them. You know, most vet's know little about newt's and this was the guy that gave them to me.

They stayed bloated for about six months or so and then died one by one. If you can't keep fish due to high maintenance...try a newt.
I had no idea they could live that long.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
We had a couple newts in a terrarium many years ago in Montana. One escaped during the winter (I'm inclined to believe that my former Sister-in-Law's pesky Daughter had aided in the escape.). I found it 20' down the sidewalk from the house while I was shoveling snow. I felt bad for the little guy but what a tough critter.

Jamie Dow

Ah, a newt-fancier...this from "What Ho, Jeeves". P.G. Wodehouse at his best.
"Newts, Jeeves. Mr. Fink-Nottle has a strong newt complex. You must have heard of newts. Those little sort of lizard things that charge about in ponds."

"Oh, yes, sir. The aquatic members of the family Salamandridae which constitute the genus Molge."

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts