Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Light weight backpacking lunches?

3K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  r1verock 
#1 ·
I'm looking for suggestions for light weight lunches for multi-day backpacking trips. I've tried the little single serving cans of tuna but the weight and bulk add up fast for a multi-day trip. I don't want to cook anything.

I pack light, 23-25lb for a 5 day trip so weight is important. now that I have to use a Bear canister bulk is important as well.

I could fall back on jerky, protein bars and trail mix but as I get older I need the calories a decent lunch provides.

What do you guys do for lunch?

Thanks
BMcF

#2 ·
Take a look at Packit Gourmet. I've had a bunch of their offerings so far (bikepacking "test" mode), and been extremely impressed with both the quality and selection. In addition, their "general grocery" section will allow you to custom tailor your food loadout if you want to actually do cooking rather than pour boiling water into a bag. And speaking of bags, you'll need a long-handled spoon for their foods, if nothing other than for making sure the mixing is done properly. And pop for one of their "cozy" things too. Their gumbo is superb for a hot lunch, but they have things like chicken salad as well.

Within their general grocery category, if you actually want to challenge yourself to cook on the trail, If I were to substitute their freeze-dried chicken for crawfish, I could make chicken etouffee using their supplies. I'd have to bring my own flour, oil & spices, but that's it!

#4 ·
Billy,

That's a great question! I've solved my backpacking breakfast and dinner needs with my own sort of instant oatmeal mix and store-bought freeze dried dinners, but not my lunch dilemma. I'm a life-long brown bagger for lunch, so a sandwich has always been my go to. For the last few seasons I carry hard salami, a brick of sharp cheddar, and tortillas or flat bread. Then I have a granola bar and some dried fruit and call that lunch. However, I have a hard time getting my food weight down to the 2 pounds per day goal.

I'm going on a hike in the high Sierra in a couple weeks, and a bear vault is mandatory. Those large foil packages that freeze dried dinners come in won't fit in the BV 500, at least not enough of them. I've read about and intend to transfer freeze dried meals into smaller plastic zip lock bags to get 5 days of food into the BV.

I'd like to hike with Alex, knowing I'd eat well, but I'd want him to carry all the food cuz I don't think his menu choices will meet the 2 pound per day goal either. Having tried the ultra-light hiking alternative, I'm never going back to a large heavy pack and carrying the kitchen sink.

Sg

#16 ·
Thanks Salmo_g - I've settled on Salami, Laughing cow cheese and tortilla's. Maybe some pouches of mayo and mustard. Maybe 1 or 2 single serving tins of tuna to switch things up a bit.

I'm trying to get to 1.5 lbs per day without cutting myself short on calories.

For breakfast its oatmeal or Probar Meal bars and coffee.
I'm a solo hiker so for dinners I split a 2-person freeze dried dinner and add rice or instant potatoes and some freeze dried veggies.
I'm usually around 1.5 lbs a day depending on the snacks I bring along.

Reactions: Salmo_g
#6 · (Edited)
When I was out backpacking on my own or herding a scout troop around the mountains my lunches typically involved bagels, peanut butter, homemade sirloin jerky, extra sharp cheddar and maybe some dried fruit. The cheese would last several days without going south if carefully rewrapped each time a slab was removed. (Today the sharpest cheddar I can find is Old Croc from Australia. Good stuff, Maynard!)

A pocket full of Kraft caramels provided energy bursts when sucked on at the rate of 2-3 an hour.

I didn't say it was health food.

#8 ·
Kilchis,

I don't make homemade jerky, but I tried the dried beef steak available at Costco, and it tastes pretty good. I like the Kraft caramels idea.

John,

My daughter has both an Ursack and BV, but I think the USFS and NPS have only approved the BV in the high Sierra.

Sg

#11 ·
I think the USFS and NPS have only approved the BV in the high Sierra.
Sg
First mistake is giving a rat's ass about what the forest "service" OR the park "service" has to say about what you carry into the boonies. Bears were never a problem, and we just hung our supplies with a lightweight line and a stuff sack. has something changed?

#14 ·
Alex,

Yes, apparently wilderness rangers actually check packs to make sure hikers are using BVs. And like Freestone says, the bears have become smarter because of so many stupid people. I've never had a bear issue, including camping along bear trails in AK. The mice, chipmunks, and in low elevations, the damn raccoons are the ones that are hard to keep out of the chow.

Sg

#17 ·
There is absolutely no need to bring TINS of tuna backpacking - it comes in foil pouches now, either packed in water or oil. Single serving or large serving sizes. Find it at any normal grocery store. Heck, you can even get flavored tuna salad in a foil pouch (see below). You can also get chicken and salmon in foil pouches at the grocery store. The empty pouches fold flat and take up no room in your trash bag.

Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Dish

#23 ·
There is absolutely no need to bring TINS of tuna backpacking - it comes in foil pouches now, either packed in water or oil. Single serving or large serving sizes. Find it at any normal grocery store. Heck, you can even get flavored tuna salad in a foil pouch (see below). You can also get chicken and salmon in foil pouches at the grocery store. The empty pouches fold flat and take up no room in your trash bag.

View attachment 148665
Thanks Freestone - I picked some up today. They save a bit of weight but what the save in pack volume in great.

#20 ·
Ok, I just found the ultimate backpacking lunch item! I don't know why noone ever thought of this before! Buy extras for breakfast and dinner! Who knew that something this good could be put in a foul pouch!!! Found it at where else but Wally World!

Been there, done that. Learned it from my childhood friend. He takes it for breakfast every day on the trail. Must confess I'm not a big fan, but does a good job of adding protein and fat to a hiker's diet.

#24 ·
I've always been partial to a piece of fitness bread (super dense and tasty), with some kaukauna port wine flavor cheese, and horse cock of your choosing (what other people call summer sausage).

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Mestemache...MI5sLp5Nn91QIVDmx-Ch2ptQP4EAQYASABEgL8tfD_BwE

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=3C29C228-E106-11DF-A102-FEFD45A4D471

1 package of fitness bread, 1 container of the kaukauna cheese, and one medium size roll of horse cock will last me a good 4 days of backpacking for lunch.

#25 ·
I make wraps with tortillas, powdered hummus, and your choice of hard salami/summer sausage/tuna. Optional topping include sharp cheddar (which stays good close to a week unrefrigerated) or even a fresh bell pepper for the tuna wrap if you like me value a few fresh veggies in the woods. Hot sauce is mandatory. If you're bringing tuna backpacking get the heat sealed pouches not the tin cans they're much heavier.
I also bring a pound of raw cashews for each week ill be out there and munch on them throughout the day as well as at lunch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.