NFR Any musicians out there?

A.A.

I always like hearing about other interests and talents other forum members have. I'm a fly/music/art guy. Not by career, but just for the love of music. My dad started teaching me guitar in 5th grade. I got into writing and recording in 7th grade. Played bass in elementary and Jr. High jazz bands.

Spent more time with rock bands and writing my own music through high school and college. Picked up playing drums along the way. I still find time to write and record music. I made some music for a short film (won director's choice at a couple film festivals) and a yet to be completed video game.

Now I mostly record my own random music because I love it, not for any specific purpose. I may send certain songs to a few friends on occasion, but mostly make songs, then move on to the next idea to see what I can come up with.

A few life's dreams have come together in the last couple years. 1) Buy a house near good fishing. 2) First drift boat. 3) Dedicated area for my recording, my studio. These, of course, are all secondary to my most important life goal of raising good and kind kids with my good and kind wife.

My oldest son is becoming an amazing drummer. We occasionally "jam" or make up songs. One of our favorite exercises is "drum challenge" where we take turns trying to stump the other with weird beats. He's hard to beat anymore, and just turned 14. Very cool.

I show this photo as a culmination of one of my life's pursuits, not as a "look at the cool stuff I have". A little room in the finished basement I recently painted. A friend very generously gave me those acoustic panels and will NOT let me pay him for them.

image.jpeg
Any other musicians out there? Where are you at in the journey? I'd love to hear about it!

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Nice, AA!

I learned to play the guitar right handed, as lefty guitars were few & far between back in the day. I never owned an electric, but have played a few; I still have my old Ovation 6 & Epiphone 12 strings (the necks are the same size, so making the transition is effortless). I don't pick much anymore - arthritic knuckles born of other activities during my youth have made that a tad uncomfortable, but on occasion . . . . I did try the 5-string banjo, but never came close to mastering that and the fiddle has always intrigued (but eluded) me.

That being said, I don't know that what I produced can deservedly be called "music," but it was & is fun none the less. The Folk Music Era triggered my enthusiasm for acoustic guitars. It's all good.

Darby

Always admired musicians, but never really had the time to dedicate to learning. With my career, deployments, family in between being gone for long periods of time, moving all over the world, I just never dedicated myself to the task of learning an instrument. However, during my recovery & rehab I met Jho Blenis. An amazing guitarist and life long PNW musician. I purchased some equipment and started taking lessons. I quickly found out that my progress would be through a lot of hard work, study, and practice. The gift of music just wasn't part of my DNA. Unfortunately, Jho passed on and my playing has fallen off. Mainly due to health from my injuries and more surgeries. I do plan on continuing, but mainly study theory nowadays as things modes have baffled me.

My sister & her husband, Phil, are up this week visiting. He's professional musician from L.A., CA, and an amazing percussionist. He plays with several bands down there and is hired for studio gigs when artist are recording albums. When they return, he'll be traveling to San Francisco, to start practice for the upcoming Neil Diamond tour. I took him around to couple of music stores this week and it's amazing to watch people in the store stop, look, and listen when he's playing the congas, djembe, or a drum set. What a difference between a professional musician and us normal people.:) Anyway...

Great little area you have there and congrats on introducing your kids and teaching them music. They will be better people for it. Too bad the arts are struggling in schools and developing that part of the young brain.

A.A.

Always admired musicians, but never really had the time to dedicate to learning. With my career, deployments, family in between being gone for long periods of time, moving all over the world, I just never dedicated myself to the task of learning an instrument. However, during my recovery & rehab I met Jho Blenis. An amazing guitarist and life long PNW musician. I purchased some equipment and started taking lessons. I quickly found out that my progress would be through a lot of hard work, study, and practice. The gift of music just wasn't part of my DNA. Unfortunately, Jho passed on and my playing has fallen off. Mainly due to health from my injuries and more surgeries. I do plan on continuing, but mainly study theory nowadays as things modes have baffled me.

My sister & her husband, Phil, are up this week visiting. He's professional musician from L.A., CA, and an amazing percussionist. He plays with several bands down there and is hired for studio gigs when artist are recording albums. When they return, he'll be traveling to San Francisco, to start practice for the upcoming Neil Diamond tour. I took him around to couple of music stores this week and it's amazing to watch people in the store stop, look, and listen when he's playing the congas, djembe, or a drum set. What a difference between a professional musician and us normal people.:) Anyway...

Great little area you have there and congrats on introducing your kids and teaching them music. They will be better people for it. Too bad the arts are struggling in schools and developing that part of the young brain.
That's awesome! I admire the professionals too. I'm good at what I do, but I wish I had done real lessons along the way.

Jeremy Floyd

Veðrfölnir
I would have expected a Pink Floyd shirt. Just sayin' . . .

My Son's best friend lived with us during senior year of HS; what an amazingly great guitar player! Some folks are born with something special; I obviously missed that train.
My son and I took a roadtrip last spring to go purchase my Ranger boat in Bend, OR, a 20 hour drive each way. He said he was only coming if he could bring my acoustic.

I purchased the Megadeth Dystopia album as we were driving out of town. By the time we got to Bend, two days later he could play almost all of the songs, rhythm or lead, that little fucker! He has an ear thats second to none for music. He hears a song and calls out the notes before even touching an instrument. It's intimidating!

Jeremy Floyd

Veðrfölnir
I always like hearing about other interests and talents other forum members have. I'm a fly/music/art guy. Not by career, but just for the love of music. My dad started teaching me guitar in 5th grade. I got into writing and recording in 7th grade. Played bass in elementary and Jr. High jazz bands.

Spent more time with rock bands and writing my own music through high school and college. Picked up playing drums along the way. I still find time to write and record music. I made some music for a short film (won director's choice at a couple film festivals) and a yet to be completed video game.

Now I mostly record my own random music because I love it, not for any specific purpose. I may send certain songs to a few friends on occasion, but mostly make songs, then move on to the next idea to see what I can come up with.

A few life's dreams have come together in the last couple years. 1) Buy a house near good fishing. 2) First drift boat. 3) Dedicated area for my recording, my studio. These, of course, are all secondary to my most important life goal of raising good and kind kids with my good and kind wife.

My oldest son is becoming an amazing drummer. We occasionally "jam" or make up songs. One of our favorite exercises is "drum challenge" where we take turns trying to stump the other with weird beats. He's hard to beat anymore, and just turned 14. Very cool.

I show this photo as a culmination of one of my life's pursuits, not as a "look at the cool stuff I have". A little room in the finished basement I recently painted. A friend very generously gave me those acoustic panels and will NOT let me pay him for them.

View attachment 148735
Any other musicians out there? Where are you at in the journey? I'd love to hear about it!

Is that the line6 Pod? It looks like it. Do you notice your patches are greatly different volumes, not just the lead? I've had some struggles, and complaints from "front of house", with the Line6..

A.A.

Is that the line6 Pod? It looks like it. Do you notice your patches are greatly different volumes, not just the lead? I've had some struggles, and complaints from "front of house", with the Line6..
That's the flextone II amp and floorboard. I usually leave the amp on manual, the sound stays with the knobs on the top at face value. That way it just acts like a regular amp. I also have the pod 2.0. Used it for my shows in college w the floorboard through a 4x10. It's easy to program. I had all my settings dialed in so I didn't have volume issues. The out of the box settings do have big differences in volume. Especially some of the heavier distortion when going between open chords and palm muting.

I still use the pod 2.0 for recording. It sounds great and is super versatile. There's no way to have that many different amps, so it's a great compromise.

Traded my 4x10 speaker cabinet for a wedding ring when I was making plans to get engaged. When I told my dad he laughed, then told me he sold his fender bassman amp to buy my mom's wedding ring. Too funny.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I purchased the Megadeth Dystopia album as we were driving out of town. By the time we got to Bend, two days later he could play almost all of the songs, rhythm or lead, that little fucker! He has an ear thats second to none for music. He hears a song and calls out the notes before even touching an instrument. It's intimidating!
Like I said: "Some folks are born with something special . . ." Your Son is obviously among those so gifted. I grew-up with a friend who was the same way - he amazed me. He saved-up his money & bought a Mosrite and had all the Ventures' hot licks down pat in no time.

Jeremy Floyd

Veðrfölnir
That's the flextone II amp and floorboard. I usually leave the amp on manual, the sound stays with the knobs on the top at face value. That way it just acts like a regular amp. I also have the pod 2.0. Used it for my shows in college w the floorboard through a 4x10. It's easy to program. I had all my settings dialed in so I didn't have volume issues. The out of the box settings do have big differences in volume. Especially some of the heavier distortion when going between open chords and palm muting.

I still use the pod 2.0 for recording. It sounds great and is super versatile. There's no way to have that many different amps, so it's a great compromise.

Traded my 4x10 speaker cabinet for a wedding ring when I was making plans to get engaged. When I told my dad he laughed, then told me he sold his fender bassman amp to buy my mom's wedding ring. Too funny.
I did sort of did the opposite. My 1974 Fender P Bass, and my 1988 Mexican P Bass (the moonburst in the upper pic) were both lost, along with my Ampeg SVT head, securing my divorce! They have been replaced by a Gallien Krueger 2001RB head, and a 4x10 and 1x15 peavy cabinets with Gallien Krueger Neo mag speakers.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Like I said: "Some folks are born with something special . . ." Your Son is obviously among those so gifted. I grew-up with a friend who was the same way - he amazed me. He saved-up his money & bought a Mosrite and had all the Ventures' hot licks down pat in no time.
Must be a Montana thing my late buddy bill Nelson from Havre Montana could play anything with strings, said it was the long cold winters with no T.V. He toured with chuck berry one summer.

Last edited:

A.A.

I did sort of did the opposite. My 1974 Fender P Bass, and my 1988 Mexican P Bass (the moonburst in the upper pic) were both lost, along with my Ampeg SVT head, securing my divorce! They have been replaced by a Gallien Krueger 2001RB head, and a 4x10 and 1x15 peavy cabinets with Gallien Krueger Neo mag speakers.
My bass rig was my Steinberger XM2, Gallien Kreuger 400RB, and SWR Goliath II. I would turn the tweeter off and use my pod for my guitar rig and it sounded great. Used a 2x12 Hughes and kettner cab for a while too. Sold my fender Japanese Strat and got a Wolfgang special. I'll pick up a nice tube amp someday. Love the Mesa Boogie heads. But my next project is finding a better pair of overhead drum mics.

A.A.

Cool. I grew up playing the Ventures with my Dad.

Latest posts