NFR Any musicians out there?

A.A.

Great thread. Not surprised that there are lots of musicians on a fly fishing board. Music is one of those 'deep into it' passions like fly fishing. Some cool stories and pics.

I've played guitar since I was a senior in high school. Lately I've been writing and producing original instrumentals for film and TV. I have a handful of publishing deals and have had cuts on shows like: Duck Dynasty, American Pickers, Counting Cars, Treehouse Masters, etc. Mostly cable productions with a few network TV placements. You can hear some of my stuff by taking the Reverb Nation link in my signature line below.

Anyone else have their stuff available for streaming online? I'd love to hear your noise!

Bakerite, those leisure suits are amazing. I had one back in the day. You can gut a fish with the point of the collar on those shirts if you put enough starch on em :p

I would also love to hear some stuff you guys have made. Grube, where's that link? (EDIT: Just found the link, I'll check it out.) I'll have to set up an online streaming account too. I've had people ask me to do this for years. What do you recommend? Reverb nation, soundcloud?

Funny thing is, I met Grube a couple months ago, we fished for a morning. He and his wife just relocated to my neck of the woods. My family and I just went to see his new place and meet his wife yesterday. Great people and a great house! I knew we'd have lots of great times fishing together, but then I saw his music room/studio. "Wait, you play and record too?" What are the chances? This was after I had started this thread too. I agree, music and fly fishing go together on many levels. Too cool.

We need to do a N Umpqua bash where several of you musicians come down for a couple days in the Summer. We'll fish steelhead early and late, with jam sessions in the heat of the afternoon!

Last edited:

the_grube

I would also love to hear some stuff you guys have made. Grube, where's that link? I'll have to set up an online streaming account too. I've had people ask me to do this for years. What do you recommend? Reverb nation, soundcloud?

Funny thing is, I met Grube a couple months ago, we fished for a morning. He and his wife just relocated to my neck of the woods. My family and I just went to see his new place and meet his wife yesterday. Great people and a great house! I knew we'd have lots of great times fishing together, but then I saw his music room/studio. "Wait, you play and record too?" What are the chances? This was after I had started this thread too. I agree, music and fly fishing go together on many levels. Too cool.

We need to do a N Umpqua bash where several of you musicians come down for a couple days in the Summer. We'll fish steelhead early and late, with jam sessions in the heat of the afternoon!

https://www.reverbnation.com/aerichgruber

It should be at the bottom of all my posts, part of my signature. Reverbnation and or SoundCloud seem to be the best sites for hosting your musics online. Soundcloud has some nice features, but I heard they're having difficulties with funding lately.

Had a wonderful time meeting your family; great kids. Tyler is a great young drummer! I can't wait to attend one of his high school jazz band concerts. It is crazy how this lined up; we live in the same area; on the same river and have so much in common. I'm loving it here. A bash is a great idea; combo fishing and music event this winter?

the_grube

@Erich, just listened to some of your tracks on reverbnation; great stuff!

Thanks Robert, there's a lot of variety. If you don't like something try the next track. I've been out of the saddle for over a year now. Living in Everett WA and commuting to Seattle for work was sapping all my energy and time. Looking forward to producing more stuff now that I'm WFH in Roseburg.

Darby

Been playing guitar off and on since I was 11, had two bands of my own, and (long story) once been onstage at the Fillmore with Janis Joplin and Jefferson Airplane in `66 (I used to babysit for her). but even though I have 3 acoustics, I don't play much anymore; a little of this, a little of that....

WOW! I'd loved to hear this story. If we ever meet on the water someday you got to tell about this...

I'm a classically trained pianist, and at one time was into it quite seriously, to the extent of attending masterclasses with Alfred Brendel, Christopher Headington and Stephen Bishop Kovacevich. Came to naught, although I still play occasionally, usually for my children and at family parties etc.

Also play a little guitar and violin.

My first love, though, is the saxophone, self-taught with pointers from musicians I've met along the way. Picked it up when I was living in the Philippines in the early 1990s. As fate would have it, I've played the sax in public much more than I've played the piano. I still practice regularly, tenor's the main instrument. Charlie Parker and Dexter Gordon are my main men, which explains why I play Conn saxophones from the 1930s and 1940s, plus the fact that nothing beats them for sound, not even the exalted Selmer Mark VI (fighting words, I know).

Gig at Villamor Airforce Base, Manila. I'm blowin' the horn on the left
full

A trio of horns: Pan-American (part of the Conn group) 46M soprano from the 1920s,
Conn Transitional alto from 1933, Conn 10M tenor from 1948
full

A.A.

View attachment 148848

That's me (as Mr. T) on the left playing the git-fiddle a couple of halloweens ago.

And check out the bass drum. My band is indeed called "Dead Drift"

Dead Drift...that's awesome! We can now take away the NFR header for this thread.

And wow, nice outfit. Glad you clarified it was a costume! Love the fisheye picture! Hey wait, there it is again. Definitely a fish related thread!

A.A.

https://www.reverbnation.com/aerichgruber

It should be at the bottom of all my posts, part of my signature. Reverbnation and or SoundCloud seem to be the best sites for hosting your musics online. Soundcloud has some nice features, but I heard they're having difficulties with funding lately.

Had a wonderful time meeting your family; great kids. Tyler is a great young drummer! I can't wait to attend one of his high school jazz band concerts. It is crazy how this lined up; we live in the same area; on the same river and have so much in common. I'm loving it here. A bash is a great idea; combo fishing and music event this winter?

Got a chance to listen to a bunch of tracks while working yesterday. Nice job! I could totally imagine the types of scenes they would go with! We definitely need to collaborate on some original tunes!

Last edited:

Tarkin

OK, been a professional musician since I was 15. Played trumpet in the Bay Area for 20 years after which composing became the main source. I currently write for video games. Mainly a game called DOTA. Also CSGO, Portal 2 and some of the Myst games. Wrote music for Survivor for several years and had the pleasure of playing with many greats while actually gigging. Ella Fitzgerald, Natalie Cole, Mel Torme, Shiela E., Lou Rawls, etc. etc. Able to work between Bellevue and Spokane so I get the best of both fishing worlds. Hit the Yak when I drive back and forth, and the Spokane when I'm home. Still do recording sessions on trumpet via the internet for film and tv. You've probably heard my playing in the background while tying a fly. :)
There's a few pieces of mine on Soundcloud and some recent concert videos on Youtube. Look for the International DOTA 2 tournament open or close. I'm the dude waving the stick in front of the orchestra. PM me if you're interested and I'll point you to them.
Cheers.

the_grube

Got a chance to listen to a bunch of tracks while working yesterday. Nice job! I could totally imagine the types of scenes they would go with! We definitely need to collaborate on some original tunes!

Thanks A.A. a collaboration would be fun. I'm still swimming in boxes out here. The house is put together but my studio/office looks like a hoarders mini-storage. The studio is functional though.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts