NFR Any musicians out there?

g_smolt

Recreational User
Recovering musician. Played mandolin in a bluegrass band in the early 2000's. Now I just play a bit of old-time and the occasional fiddle tune, mostly by myself. Gots 2 nice Collings guitars that I haul out every blue moon as well, but since my hands are wet May-October, the calluses I had when I played 20-30hrs a week are loooong gone.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I write poems ,,,the lyrics are gret the production and musicianship are goodish...we are are old folks playin long distance...

stuff like this, we have 20 or so songs that few hear.,..Ha!...though we got close to a payday with No mans land...Oh well!...a check in the mail would have been goodish!

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
I've been playing-performing since 1965.
This year I will have done 37 shows playing acoustic and electric guitars, mandolin, and tenor banjo in small orchestras for 2 amateur theater companies and a large church's annual Christmas productions featuring a 40 piece chamber orchestra and 80 voice choir.

Mingo

the Menehune stole my beer
Great time to be playing music in Seattle

it was until Nirvana got signed. after that, any band not playing grunge got kicked to the curb. and within a month the scene was clogged with LA bands who moved north and were dressing up in Doc Martens and freshly torn flannel pretending to be from Seattle.

Brian Miller

WFF Supporter
From a production I'm doing now. Funny, this was from the first dress rehearsal. I think the horn player and I were the only ones who didn't get the memo about "concert black" because we were going to be filmed. A "still small voice" had told me to put on a black shirt but I had blue jeans and reflective running shoes on that light up like a Christmas tree. When I saw everyone in concert black I wrapped large piece of black cloth around my lap that I keep in my gig-bag to cover my amp when I leave it in the pit overnight for the next show. The tops of the shoes are just barely visible.
I didn't know I was being filmed until a friend texted me this photo last night after it aired because I was concentrating on playing the last 4 bars of a 20 bar electric guitar intro to the number. It's pretty cool when the guitar is "featured" and the orchestra is playing kicks behind it :cool: .
8562.jpeg

Last edited:

troutpocket

Dropped out of college and played bass in original bands in Seattle mid 90’s through early 00’s. Got burnt out on band drama and reprioritized. Finished college, went to grad school, got married, had kids, got established in my profession (Fish Bio). Funny how working towards a career in natural resources seemed like a cakewalk after years trying to “make it” in music :rolleyes:

About two years ago I was invited to jam with some local hobby bluegrass players. I dusted off my acoustic bass guitar and went to work clearing the mental cobwebs. After a couple months we did a show in town, fundraiser for a school. That went well enough and now we play out whenever we feel like it. The other guys have similar music histories, stable careers, and families. So yeah, we’re a Dad band. I am enjoying this version of band life quite a bit.

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
I'm a professional folk artist. I play Celtic, old timey, and Scandinavian traditional music for a living, down in California. The flexible schedule allows me to fish quite a bit on week days when no one's around. If anyone is interested... http://stuartmasonmusic.com

Very cool, have you ever played Cape Breton? I was there this summer and caught a Ceilidh(kaylee) in a barn on the property we were staying at. If that music doesn’t make you want to dance you don’t have a pulse.

Brian Miller

WFF Supporter
Is that a Zion guitar Brian? I had a Zion Classic with the same flame maple finish and a floyd, but that was many moons ago.
Dude! Good eye!
Mine is the first Zion "like fire" finish. I spoke on the phone with Ken and Jim describing what I wanted and sent them a pic of a McNaught I'd seen. They figured out a way to do it. Striking. Custom wiring scheme designed by a Seymour Duncan engineer so I could have a HSH pickup config with push-pull volume and tone (SC default when the knobs are down) and a blend control with the lower knob to cover Telecaster, Stratocaster, and Les Paul sounds.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I write poems ,,,the lyrics are gret the production and musicianship are goodish...we are are old folks playin long distance...

stuff like this, we have 20 or so songs that few hear.,..Ha!...though we got close to a payday with No mans land...Oh well!...a check in the mail would have been goodish!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info