Looking for a hard to find chef knife

Trapper

Author, Writer, Photographer
I saw this knife several years ago. I should have bought it but didn't. Now I would like to have it but can't find it as its discontinued.

If anyone here knows where I can buy one, preferably new, but I would consider one used, for less than $300, let me know.

Shun DM0517 Ken Onion 7" Damascus Santoku Knife

I really like the bolster on this knife.

Trapper

Trapper

Good knife, but not inexpensive by any means. You're paying extra for the name, however, he is a knife maker of renown.
Perhaps have a look see here. I buy from them frequently and have never been disappointed.
https://www.japanny.com/
That's a great site for chef knives! I could spend a few days on it. Thanks.

I know Ken Onion did great things with Kershaw. What I really like about that Shun is the way he did the bolster because I choke up on knives and that one is perfect for that. I have one of his rain series. Its great for vegetables that tend to stick to the blade like onions or potatoes.

Trapper

Trapper

I've never thought highly of the Shun quality and I think Ken Onion is weird for weird's sake.

A knife that looks to be nearly a direct rip-off of the knife you are looking for hit my MassDrop feed today. It's available from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VC5AV3...t=&hvlocphy=9033394&hvtargid=pla-350429331065
I thought Curtis stone did cookware. I didn't know he had a knife line. Thanks.

I like various knife makers in Japan. I've got Henkel and other German knives but prefer the balance and thin blades of Japan.

I sharpen my own knives and found the Shuns easy to keep tuned with just a few swipes of a steel.

What do you like?

dld

I thought Curtis stone did cookware. I didn't know he had a knife line. Thanks.

I like various knife makers in Japan. I've got Henkel and other German knives but prefer the balance and thin blades of Japan.

I sharpen my own knives and found the Shuns easy to keep tuned with just a few swipes of a steel.

What do you like?
I guess I should restate that: I think Shun's are too expensive for the quality and steel they use. They were different when they first came out, but with so many options in the clad-pseudo-damascus, I've developed a distaste.

I currently have Messermeister and Viking Professional knives. German style, heavy.

If I were buying new cooking knives now, I'd be looking very hard at Al Mar. I carry an Al Mar Eagle Ultralight, it has been my favorite knife for the last three years.

BTW, I did some more looking into that Curtis Stone knife. It appears to be made in Japan by Yaxall. It seems that they are a very legit producer.

dld

What are those knives made of? They look like pattern welded steel, just wondering if they are stainless or high carbon steels.
The shuns, like a lot of modern knives, use a clad steel construction. The cutting edge is the core steel and is VG-MAX, a variant of VG-10, which is a high-carbon stainless steel. The layers on the outside are also stainless.

Latest posts