WFF Blackstonefly & Mike Melfa

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read through the entire thread.

It is the Seller's responsibility to ship the rod and provide a tracking number to the Buyer. The tracking number is essential to determine whether the rod was shipped by the Seller and whether it was delivered to the Buyer's shipping address.

If the merchandise was never received at the Buyer's shipping address and (as has been repeatedly stated by friends of the Seller) if the Seller accidently lost the receipt & doesn't know the tracking nbr, the Seller is at fault.

The Seller should contact the Buyer, explain the unintentional snafu, and reimburse the purchase funds to the Buyer.

Losing the receipt with the tracking nbr is an error that could happen to anyone, but it is still the Seller's responsibility. Without the tracking number, the Seller has no proof he shipped the rod.

Btw, the shipping vendor (usps, fedex, ups) probably has all that info in their computer system. Even the u.s.p.s. tracks parcels by shipping address, date, and origination point.
Agree 100%.

Until a shipping # is produced as proof of shipment this is a no brainer. The burden of proof is on the shipper, not the buyer, case closed.

As the Dude suggests it sometimes takes a little longer for things to show up north of the 49th but in this case shipping address was on the south side of the border so there should not be an issue. I use a similar receiver who will hold parcels indefinitely until I make a trip south usually within a few weeks of shipping as I combine a fishing or skiing excursion with the trip. If you are stateside for 48hrs you receive a 800.00 $ duty exemption when you cross back making the trip that much better. I have always received a tracking # from shipper so I know item has been delivered before I head south.... not sure why this is not the case here. Perhaps senior needs to speak with junior with regards to the shipping as he sounds like a stand-up guy and does not need to have his reputation slagged .... just saying ...... surprised myself to see this happen on this site as everyone seems to get along for the most part.... I hope this ends well for all parties.....

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
Even if the tracking number was misplaced during a move, it shouldn't be that hard to obtain it again with today's technology.
I'd think the seller, with a bit of effort on his behalf could easily get this issue resolved.

It shouldn't matter where the rod was shipped.
Just supply the tracking number to the buyer so he can see where the rod ended up if it was indeed shipped.
SF

Sorry for this very late response, and Thanks to all the fellows that had Nice things to Say about my Son and I and it is appreciated. I (Mike Melfa Sr ) have been selling and purchasing gear on this site without incidents for quite awhile now. I did have one item lost and made good on it a $500 mistake on my part for lack of Insurance and it Cost me.. (Ouch). Accidents do happen and I am only human. ** My Son, and I both opened an account on this Washington website we shared my Computer, and we opened up a joint Pay Pal account so we could both Buy and Sell on this Website. I am 71 years old and after 40 years was just getting back into the Hobby. My Son Jr was trying to figure out whether he was truly Interested in Fly Fishing or not. For Jr however It was very short lived, as quick as he bought everything and started to fish he found out that his Job was moving. He was offered a Moving Package which he decided to take. He then made the decision to recoup some of the money he spent and started selling all his gear. All of his rods, reels, etc, were priced for a quick sale and were Sold very quickly.
** This Rod in question was One of four rods and four reels that my Son was selling. All the items that where Sold that week where shipped out USPS Priority Mail and we have verified that All were received . The only one in question is the one that was shipped to Mike P . My Son said that this was shipped along with all the other items . This Item was shipped to a Second Party shipping Company which was supposed to ship to the Customers British Columbia's Home address...*****.Pay Pal Requires a Verified Shipping Address***** and to my knowledge this was not a Verified address. Payment was requested through F/F and payment was received...Mike P did notify and inquire on the shipping type and ask for the tracking number. The problem is he has still not found where he put the tracking receipt from the Post Office and somehow the receipt was misplaced...(Murphy's Law) so he does not have the proof of shipping receipt that is being asked for.
I am being Truthful and did try to answer whatever questions that was asked of me. My Son is still convinced that the Second shipping company has lost this Item, and is Furious for all the Names and Accusations that were sent in previous emails and threatening phone calls using Profanity calling him a Thief, Bullshitter, Scumbag, Lowlife ..Etc Etc. and calling my phone at 2 Am and 3 Am in the morning cursing and hanging up.. And the last straw was someone trying to Hack on his /mine PayPal account where I was Notified by Pay Pal.. This is Just not fair, I Did Not sell Mike that Rod and I am getting all the shit for it..... I feel Terrible for Mike and Pray that the rod does show up for him. I would be pissed myself but this was not handled correctly I have sold 4 dozen Items on here with a 100% Satisfied Customer record....... I do not want to throw my Son under the Bus but if he screwed up then he should be liable for it Not me...I am the only one on this Computer now and this would have been refunded if I had sold it...... If you have to Ban someone go after him not me..... Mike please send me your Phone number I will somehow try and make this right for you if this indeed is lost. I could only Imagine how you must feel.... Sorry but willing to work with you Mike Melfa Sr (sorry I'm not a good writer}

I had one transaction with Mike Sr a couple of month's back, that was referred to earlier. Mike was as helpful I think as he could be. I believe shipping and record keeping is a bit new to him regarding transactions of gear though. I bought a couple of Hardy reels which he shipped with USPS expedited service that just never showed up. Mike requested a payment by friend's / family, so a Paypal refund was not possible. Mike communicated constantly during the process to get a USPS claim settled, but in an oversight he only insure for one of the reels, so about $250 less than the cost of both reels. After many weeks the claim was settled and Mike was refunded about half the amount of our transaction. Due to his excellent communication and hard work to file the claim repeatedly and the fight to get some money back (USPS was tough, he shared all communication records with USPS with me) at my request we split the loss of the balance the claim didn't cover - about $125 each or so. Mike returned the claim money plus $125 out of his pocket. I was out $125 as well, but it thought it was fair given the circumstances that we share the burden.
At the end of everything I strongly recommended Mike swallow the 3 or 4 percent Paypal fees on any future gear sales in order to provide insurance against this type of event from recurring.

The loss of the reels by the way occurred at the PO on his end. Tracking died after the reels were recorded as being received by the PO in NJ. I don't know if there is an issue with this PO in terms of packages disappearing or what is happening, but the documents Mike provided me from USPS showed Mike had clearly gotten the reels to the PO and receipt of the parcel was confirmed by the PO.

MikeyP, I really hope you are able to get a tracking number, get a claim in or receive your rod. It's an extreme downer losing gear to shipping. After this recent experience I had another Steffen glass rod that I was very excited about from a different seller go missing which cost me another partial loss. That seller too helped me out a lot though and was generous in how much he went out of his way to assist me in the circumstances we were put through by USPS.
Your transaction with Mike must be frustrating and I hoped you are eventually abel to resolve it to some satisfaction on both ends as I was able to with Mike Sr.
And yes - good luck with the Coho! I grew up in Alberta and snuck a few trips over to the Terrace area in the past and have great memories of those experiences.

Edit, while I wrote this literally Mike Sr's post above came in! Coincidental timing!

"** This Rod in question was One of four rods and four reels that my Son was selling. All the items that where Sold that week where shipped out USPS Priority Mail and we have verified that All were received ."

I don't understand this part. How were you able to verify the rod was received?

"Pay Pal Requires a Verified Shipping Address***** and to my knowledge this was not a Verified address."

This statement also raises questions. I have bought numerous reels and flyrods on this site. Paypal had zero involvement in a private Seller putting a flyrod in a rod tube mailer, taking it to the post office, and mailing it via USPS Priority Mail to an address.

Last edited:
="Chris Scoones, post: 1309036, member: 1"]Why is it every time Jr speaks on the subject, your lips move?
Maybe because I'm trying to get this resolved somehow by answering questions, and You on the other hand just keep putting wood on the fire. My Son is not talking I am, Two weeks ago when you and Mike P accused him and called him a Thief, a Liar and a Bullshitter and other choice words...

He said Dad I'm Sorry but I'm Done with this Shit, I refuse to be talked to in this manner..

So Please don't bother me about it , I shipped out his Rod ... He told me he's already been Convicted without a jury. So Its me Talking not him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for this very late response, and Thanks to all the fellows that had Nice things to Say about my Son and I and it is appreciated. I (Mike Melfa Sr ) have been selling and purchasing gear on this site without incidents for quite awhile now. I did have one item lost and made good on it a $500 mistake on my part for lack of Insurance and it Cost me.. (Ouch). Accidents do happen and I am only human. ** My Son, and I both opened an account on this Washington website we shared my Computer, and we opened up a joint Pay Pal account so we could both Buy and Sell on this Website. I am 71 years old and after 40 years was just getting back into the Hobby. My Son Jr was trying to figure out whether he was truly Interested in Fly Fishing or not. For Jr however It was very short lived, as quick as he bought everything and started to fish he found out that his Job was moving. He was offered a Moving Package which he decided to take. He then made the decision to recoup some of the money he spent and started selling all his gear. All of his rods, reels, etc, were priced
** This Rod in question was One of four rods and four reels that my Son was selling. All the items that where Sold that week where shipped out USPS Priority Mail and we have verified that All were received . The only one in question is the one that was shipped to Mike P . My Son said that this was shipped along with all the other items . This Item was shipped to a Second Party shipping Company which was supposed to ship to the Customers British Columbia's Home address...*****.Pay Pal Requires a Verified Shipping Address***** and to my knowledge this was not a Verified address. Payment was requested through F/F and payment was received...Mike P did notify and inquire on the shipping type and ask for the tracking number. The problem is he has still not found where he put the tracking receipt from the Post Office and somehow the receipt was misplaced...(Murphy's Law) so he does not have the proof of shipping receipt that is being asked for.
I am being Truthful and did try to answer whatever questions that was asked of me. My Son is still convinced that the Second shipping company has lost this Item, and is Furious for all the Names and Accusations that were sent in previous emails and threatening phone calls using Profanity calling him a Thief, Bullshitter, Scumbag, Lowlife ..Etc Etc. and calling my phone at 2 Am and 3 Am in the morning cursing and hanging up.. And the last straw was someone trying to Hack on his /mine PayPal account where I was Notified by Pay Pal.. This is Just not fair, I Did Not sell Mike that Rod and I am getting all the shit for it..... I feel Terrible for Mike and Pray that the rod does show up for him. I would be pissed myself but this was not handled correctly I have sold 4 dozen Items on here with a 100% Satisfied Customer record....... I do not want to throw my Son under the Bus but if he screwed up then he should be liable for it Not me...I am the only one on this Computer now and this would have been refunded if I had sold it...... If you have to Ban someone go after him not me..... Mike please send me your Phone number I will somehow try and make this right for you if this indeed is lost. I could only Imagine how you must feel.... Sorry but willing to work with you Mike Melfa Sr (sorry I'm not a good writer}
1) I never asked for the rod to be shipped anywhere other than the agreed address in Blaine Washington, so the above is completely false. There was to be no forwarding the rod anywhere. I live 1hr away from Blaine, and I had a few packages I had to pick up. This is completely fabricated by the seller.

2) Mike Jr. has never contacted me since July 28th when the Paypal address was provided with a promise to provide a tracking number which has never been received.

3) If the items were confirmed delivered, where is the tracking information? I would assume that would be necessary to confirm the delivery of the sent packages. If you have this, I would love to track where the rod is!

4) I have tried via many methods to contact Mike Jr. to resolve the situation. All have gone un-answered. I have always been civil, but my patience grew thin after a month of no response. It appears that he has not acted in good faith, and I'm now losing my cool. I'll own that. I call bullshit, and I was raised in a home that taught taking something without paying is stealing. For the record, I have not called any later than 11pm EST, and I have no interest or ability to hacking anything, let alone a Paypal account. I have not had anyone on the other line respond, so I'm not sure where the accusations of profanity are coming from. All the messages left by me were succinct and to the point.

5) I received a phone call from (I assume) Mike Sr's cell number on the 28th of July where the caller was concerned that he should keep the Winston rod his son gave him for his birthday and let go of the Sage that I was interested in. Further to that the individual wanted to also sell some lines and reels that were surplus to his needs. This person even offered to go to Cabela's as they had a great inventory of salt fishing lines that were on closeout if I was interested. I thought it was Mike Jr., but not so sure anymore. I have record of the call as it is my work cell, and that is the only number I have for the seller.

6) I have no reason to hide anything. I am the one out $425.25 USD with nothing to show for it. If anyone here questions my story, I'm happy to provide all my un-answered correspondence for their review.

7) All I want is the rod or my money returned. This could have all been easily resolved if there was contact made by the seller in a reasonable timeframe. I understand that things go wrong, but to ignore the situation seems dubious at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts