Aug/Sept wildfire smoke comparison

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
So....you say you like smokey skies, do you?

Interesting series of images of our "summer of wildfire smoke" here:

http://www.barrierestarjournal.com/...s-summer-of-smoke-evolving-over-three-months/

Remember when we all thought the smoke was bad last month?

8399389_web1_Aug6smoke.jpg

Well here's the current situation:

8399389_web1_sept5smoke.jpg

Will it go away soon? We should see some improvement today and tomorrow. But forecasts could see it back again next week (more info here).

How long will it STAY clean?
Not long enough, it seems.

Airflow turns westerly after the flushing tomorrow. Few of the smoke models seem to be capturing the large pall of smoke hovering over the Pacific ocean. Some of that smoke is likely to mix down into western WA on occasion but don't expect air to be much worse than Moderate in a few spots. *Problem is that models are building another ridge of high pressure (= light winds and poor smoke dispersion) from Sunday- Tuesday.* Don't yet know if east winds which brought smoke from the Cascades to western WA will be part of the calculus or not. Please stay tuned.

Let's look to the government for some true leadership on this topic:

"Under President Donald Trump’s proposed 2018 budget, the U.S. Forest Service, or USFS, will face a $300 million reduction to its wildfire fighting programs, another $50 million in cuts to its wildfire prevention efforts and a 23 percent reduction to funding for volunteer fire departments."

Well, we're screwed. Guess that fight for public lands won't matter much after they are all burned to the ground. Makes it easier to sell them off to oil and mining companies I guess.

#ENDOFDAYS

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
Cool images. I suspected it wouldn't be long before some would be blaming Trump.... View attachment 149682

Never change, Freestoneangler. Never change.

As you know full well, I'm not blaming trump for these fires. I'm blaming trump for proposing a 2018 budget that has significantly LESS money for wildfire fighting/protection than the current budget. Only a simpleton could look at recent wildfire seasons and say "well the solution here is obviously less firefighting/prevention"

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
The prevention opportunity was better forest management practices. For instance, the Tobacco Root's have a considerable amount of beetle killed trees... high density, dried, and ready for a really hot burn. But because some environmental groups oppose clearing out this area, like many tracts of forest in the west, it has not been thinned out as done in prior decades. Every action has an equal an opposite reaction.

Supporting foolish forest practices and then promoting increases to taxpayers to put out forest fires, largely resultant from foolish practices, is lunacy. I'll take the simpleton, thanks.

Last edited:

suckegg

Seems like we have more beetle damaged trees than ever. Certainly more than I've seen in the last 40 years in the NW. What causes that?

Last edited:

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Great pics. That answers my question in another thread about Whistler. Time to find a flight to somewhere else. Wyoming maybe...

FinLuver

So....you say you like smokey skies, do you?

Interesting series of images of our "summer of wildfire smoke" here:

http://www.barrierestarjournal.com/...s-summer-of-smoke-evolving-over-three-months/

Remember when we all thought the smoke was bad last month?

8399389_web1_Aug6smoke.jpg

Well here's the current situation:

8399389_web1_sept5smoke.jpg

Will it go away soon? We should see some improvement today and tomorrow. But forecasts could see it back again next week (more info here).

How long will it STAY clean?
Not long enough, it seems.

Airflow turns westerly after the flushing tomorrow. Few of the smoke models seem to be capturing the large pall of smoke hovering over the Pacific ocean. Some of that smoke is likely to mix down into western WA on occasion but don't expect air to be much worse than Moderate in a few spots. *Problem is that models are building another ridge of high pressure (= light winds and poor smoke dispersion) from Sunday- Tuesday.* Don't yet know if east winds which brought smoke from the Cascades to western WA will be part of the calculus or not. Please stay tuned.

Let's look to the government for some true leadership on this topic:

"Under President Donald Trump’s proposed 2018 budget, the U.S. Forest Service, or USFS, will face a $300 million reduction to its wildfire fighting programs, another $50 million in cuts to its wildfire prevention efforts and a 23 percent reduction to funding for volunteer fire departments."

Well, we're screwed. Guess that fight for public lands won't matter much after they are all burned to the ground. Makes it easier to sell them off to oil and mining companies I guess.

#ENDOFDAYS

And here, I was under the impression this was about smoke. It really should have been in the Conservation Forum, where Trump bashing occurs. At the very least, it should have had an NFR rating attached. :(

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info