a question about fiberglass.....

Looking at getting a light fiberglass rod (3 or 4 wt, 7'6") for backpacking and have never purchased a fiberglass rod before, but a lot of people love them for small fish scenarios.

Ive been looking at blue halo glass rods and think they look pretty bad ass.

What should I be looking for in a good 3 or 4 wt glass rod? Any other manufacturers I should check out?

Would be primarily for exploring the golden trout wilderness area and small spring creek applications

Greg Armstrong

OldRodsHaveMoreFun
I agree w/Bjorn.

I grew up fishing glass rods but nothing compares to fishing with and experiencing the soul of a handmade, organic rod made from bamboo.

Matt Hutch

The Blue Halo's, from what I hear, are fairly slow compared to some other modern glass rods. On the other end of the spectrum are the Epic's which are supposedly about the fastest glass rods around right now. I have an Epic 8' 4 wt. that I really enjoy for fishing dries and smaller wet flies. It's definitely slower than any graphite rod I've ever owned. I haven't fished much with any other glass rods so I can't give a comparison but consider how fast an action you want and keep in mind that even the fastest glass rods are going to be slower than the most noodle-like graphite rods.

If you're on a budget and don't want to wait around for the right used rod to pop up, take a look at Echo--for the money I would venture to say that their sticks can't be beat.

Bamboo is pretty cool stuff. I played around with one for the first time last year and was surprised by how responsive and fast some bamboo rods were. The ones I was casting, made by a friend in New England, felt faster than my Epic glass rod. I don't know if you can get into a good bamboo rod for as little as a decent glass rod, though. Another consideration is that bamboo can be pretty fragile if you bend it the wrong way whereas glass rods are about as durable as they come.

Matt, bamboo is about as "tuff" as a fly rod can be. Most are solid built and most breaks can be fixed whereas glass and graphite are toast! If you bend any fly rod the wrong way seems like trouble to me.

jwg

I just took a CGR in the Sierra.
I took the 4 wt rather than my 3 wt.
The 4 wt casts substantially better, which was helpful on lakes, and has a reel seat, not just rings.
Casts and roll casts well in tight stream spaces.

I cannot comment on other brands or bamboo.

Jay

jwg

Ps

I wanted fiberglass in order to be more bendy and responsive to hold small fish on barbless hook, rather than just shaking themselves off as happens with stiffer graphite rods

Also potentially less likely to break

Jay

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
Bamboo is great, if that's what you want, but fiberglass is awesome as well! I have cast most of the rods you mentioned, Blue Halo, Steffan, Orvis, Echo etc... A Tom Morgan fiberglass blank is incredible as well, but not at the low end.

I do really like the Orvis 4wt Superfine fiberglass rod and have cast it many times. My buddy bought the 5wt and it's nice, but the 4wt is for me.

A nice bamboo rod that I've seen on sale lately if Headwaters down in Oregon. I bought a single tip boo rod about 5 years ago and love it! There are cheaper options, but unless you really know what you want the used market is tough. There are a lot of bad bamboo used rods out there.

Steffen's are really great fishing rods (mine are two rods that I'll never get rid of). Mark is great to talk to as well, and can help point you in the right direction based on the fishing you do. Lamiglas Honey's are super sweet 4wts (mine is the 2 piece) but are no longer being produced. Orvis glass is pretty sweet too.

I've owned a few BH rods and no longer own them. Same goes for CGRs & the single hand Echo glass. There's a reason for that. A lot of folks really like McFarland glass rods too and the heavy weights that I've played with are super sweet, but I don't have experience with the lighter weights.

Cheers

Ps

I wanted fiberglass in order to be more bendy and responsive to hold small fish on barbless hook, rather than just shaking themselves off as happens with stiffer graphite rods

Also potentially less likely to break

Jay
Yeah, this is golden trout/creek brookies stuff Im talking about. Small dries, small wet flie sand nymphs.

I agree with all the comments about bamboo and fiberglass.

I haven't back-packed in many years, but I remember that portability was often the most important factor in choosing a rod to bring. If this is the case for you, give strong consideration to a 4 or 5 piece graphite or fiberglass pack rod that would fit in the backpack. Good quality 4-piece bamboo rods are hard to find, and the metal ferrules typically make them too stiff and heavy to be useful.

Today, I'd probably figure out a way to carry a 2 or 3-piece bamboo rod, but that's just me.

Tom

Latest posts