Scientific Anglers System 1 789 fans?

A.A.

Was at the N Umpqua fly tying festival today and took my 10 yo and 6 yo. We had a great time. Great looking flies being tied all around us. A few vendors of new and used gear. Been looking for a spare reel for my 7 wt for a while and stumbled onto this guy...
SA system 1 789. Made in Japan, probably made in the 80's? Some superficial wear on the rim of the frame. The two spools look pristine. Feels smooth and sounds great. Pristine looking peach cortland 444 floating line and an old no name sinking line on the other spool. Price was right at $35. Anyone with any more info on this? Any fans out there?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A.A.

Anyone know how to change the retrieve to left hand wind? I flipped the pawls the other direction. Now just wind the line on the spool the other direction?

Attachments

Last edited:

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
That looks correct, but it has been years since I did it.

Throw a few yards of mono or backing on the spool, crank down the drag then pull it off the spool.
You'll know quickly if it correct.
SF

A.A.

So is the difference in pawl strength with outgoing and reeling line based on which aspect of the spring is being pushed on? Closer to the fulcrum (outgoing line) offers more resistance than farther toward the end of the spring (reeling line)? The difference between long and short levers? Like this?
image.jpeg

Last edited:

A.A.

Bad ass reel, love the old system1 and system2 reels

I only have a system 1 in 456, in system 2 however I have 7/8, 10/11, and two 12/13, all 1st gen, none of that new plastic garbage.
I picked it up because it looked and felt so much like my Marquis Salmon 1. The Marquis is Korean, but is a sweet reel. Very smooth for a clicker.

What are the main differences between the old System 1 and 2 reels?

Last edited:
And is there a relationship between the SA reels and the Marquis? They are so similar. I know Hardy made the SA reels at one point.
The system 4,5,6,7 etc. are made by hardy and almost if not exactly the same as the marquis.

There are also system ones that are black and made in England. I think they were made by bfr.(british fly reel)

The one you have is the same as the diawa 708 also a 706 model. The diawas have a triangle shaped handle and no counter weight on the spool.

All are pretty much bullet proof :cool:

edit I believe the system 2's were made by bfr also

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
Nice score on a sweet reel and spares at cost effective price point! Pretty sure it's a BFR build, which equates quality in my book. Same company Orvis had building the still popular 90's version 'Battenkill' reels. Believe Orvis now owns BFR. I also have a few early SA System Two 'LC' gear pawl (System Two L series were caliper drag) reels also built by BFR.

Concerning your image in post #7 pretty sure the difference between incoming and outgoing is within the point of the pawl and where it contacts the gear. Long side of point = more resistance, short side less. Looks correct to me for LHR.. if incorrect then mine is as well.

SA contracted Hardy to build the "System" reels. 4 through 10 are exact counterpart to Hardy Marquis 4 - Salmon 1 (which matches System 10) The System 9 match is the Marquis 9/10 though. After SA moved on Hardy kicked of the Marquis line up.. it was just to good of a design to let go by the wayside. Both labels were built in single and dual pawl configuration. Single pawl spools have a dark colored latch cover but work on dual pawl frames.

Apologies for running on but these reels are pets of mine.

Pic of my SA System 9 set for left hand retrieve:

A.A.

Nice score on a sweet reel and spares at cost effective price point! Pretty sure it's a BFR build, which equates quality in my book. Same company Orvis had building the still popular 90's version 'Battenkill' reels. Believe Orvis now owns BFR. I also have a few early SA System Two 'LC' gear pawl (System Two L series were caliper drag) reels also built by BFR.

Concerning your image in post #7 pretty sure the difference between incoming and outgoing is within the point of the pawl and where it contacts the gear. Long side of point = more resistance, short side less. Looks correct to me for LHR.. if incorrect then mine is as well.

SA contracted Hardy to build the "System" reels. 4 through 10 are exact counterpart to Hardy Marquis 4 - Salmon 1 (which matches System 10) The System 9 match is the Marquis 9/10 though. After SA moved on Hardy kicked of the Marquis line up.. it was just to good of a design to let go by the wayside. Both labels were built in single and dual pawl configuration. Single pawl spools have a dark colored latch cover but work on dual pawl frames.

Apologies for running on but these reels are pets of mine.

Pic of my SA System 9 set for left hand retrieve:

1) I love the altoid fly box! I made several with strips of foam inside for my first fly boxes 15 years ago! And nice reel!
2) Mine is not BFR, it's made in Japan. It's not one of the cheap newer ones though. From 1980 something. From everything I can gather, they are great inexpensive reels and I got mine at a great price.
3) If the pawl is lined up exactly perpendicular to the gear, the resistance would be exactly the same on winding and outgoing. Hence my thoughts on the pawl pushing on the spring at different distances from the fulcrum. You can actually try to rotate the pawl with your fingers with the spool off and feel the difference. Makes sense to me anyway.

Thanks everyone for the info! Looking forward to putting it to work!

Latest posts