I am heading to port townsend in search of salmon still and moving waters

Heading to port townsend very soon to visit a friend, while i am there i hope to catch some salmon. can anyone please help with river names and lakes to fish. I would appreciate it

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
Yes sir. 1st off, the beaches there can be excellent fishing for SRC and coho. If you go east you can fish the Dungeness, not great #s of fish
If you head west on the 112 you'll hit some prime little rivers - the Lyre, the Hoko and more - both of which will have SRC, and the Hoko will have coho
If you take the 101 and head west you'll cross the Sol Duc 5 times plus the hatchery, and then you will make it to Forks where you can hit the Bogachiel, the Calawah, the Hoh, etc

Cruik

WFF Supporter
Good lord, there's more salmon than steelhead threads in this subforum these days. And nobody even mentions it.

By the way,

Crescent lake has huge trout too, but a boat really really really helps here. And a downrigger

No downrigger allowed. I think weight has to be less than 2 oz. Not that anyone is looking for Lake gear-trolling tips in the steelhead subforum of a fly fishing website... Or maybe they are?

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
Good lord, there's more salmon than steelhead threads in this subforum these days. And nobody even mentions it.

By the way,

No downrigger allowed. I think weight has to be less than 2 oz. Not that anyone is looking for Lake gear-trolling tips in the steelhead subforum of a fly fishing website... Or maybe they are?

Didnt know that. Been over 2 decades since I fished Crescent

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
You can catch fish from shore on Crescent if you don't have a watercraft.
Make sure to have some bleached elk or deer hair stimulators or caddie with you to imitate the moths.
SF

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
And I think DRs would have been consistent with the regs back then. I think they were since outlawed because they were just a little too efficient for the deep-dwelling beardslees.
Yeah I remember being a teenager and seeing double digit Beardslee pulled out of the lake by the downrigger crowd

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
Heading to port townsend very soon to visit a friend, while i am there i hope to catch some salmon. can anyone please help with river names and lakes to fish. I would appreciate it

Always check the regulations. Marine areas 6 and 9 are closed to all salmon fishing. Sea-run coastal cutthroat trout fishing, and trout fishing in general, is open year-round in the marine waters. Lots of beach access in the Port Townsend area. Several lakes are nearby.

If you do a search here on this site, especially in the saltwater forum, for "Port Townsend," you'll find countless good suggestions.

Steelhead

Gold Member
WFF Supporter

By the way,

I was

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts