Not your typical request for Whistler angling advice...

joe napier

I joined this forum for some special advice. Using the search feature I see 200+ posts where the same question is asked again and again:

"I'm traveling to (BC location) next (week. month, tomorrow...) a I would like some fishing advice."

The advice we seek is a bit more specific and maybe someone here can help.

Backstory - 2 dads and 5 young men are planning a trip to Whistler sometime next year (probably August). We are visiting for a dual trip of mountain biking and fishing (not at the same time). We are kinda experienced as fly fisherman (if experience counts for much to the fish) and we want to do something extreme.

Wind-Up - We want to charter a helicopter or float plane out to a remote lake and river for 4 days of remote backcountry fishing. Several companies do day trips to mountain lakes, but we want to be left out there.

Pitch - We need a remote location accessible by air (or long distance hike) that offers lake and small river fishing. We prefer trout, mostly, but salmon OK too. Its gotta be remote and its gotta have fish.

Any of you guys do remote backcountry fishing in BC?

We would be willing to drive 3-4 hours from Whistler to catch the flight out, so we have a pretty big area to choose from.

We haven't decided if we need to bring a guide with us or not. Probably prefer not to.

BTW - we are Easterners and fish the Appalachians and the Smokies, taking an annual trips out West over the last 6 years. Don't hold that against me :)

Thanks

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
Wishing you luck. August in Whistler area is beautiful. If it was me, Id take a plane to Banf for trout or Id take a flight to Vancouver island for steelhead.

I dont know of any companies in the Whistler area targeting trout as multi day operations like you want. Perhaps the Kamloops area is a better place to inquire about that kind of thing

Id probably just go fish the Pitt. So close to Whistler and been on my bucket list for a long long time

joe napier

Anyone have experience with Cheakamus River, especially upstream of Cheakamus Lake in Garibaldi park? Looks like a heck of a hike if we chose not to fly in.

The lake looks like it has lots of feeder creeks.

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
If the river is upstream of the lake there's a good chance that the larger fish live in the lake and ascend the river to spawn. I'd check that aspect out - especially since it's more a fall game for migratory trout

Matt Hutch

If you're up for the drive, the further north you go the more wilderness-y it gets. It's more than a few hours from Whistler but the area around the Skeena watershed is unmatched, in my opinion. But my opinion is colored by my bias towards steelhead. If you want trout or pike then maybe other regions are just as good or better. Generally, though, when you hear about people taking helicopters to go fishing in BC they're going steelhead fishing on some river in the Skeena watershed.

If you don't get any good leads here, call Brian Niska at Whistler Fly Fishing in Squamish. He doesn't do the type of trip you're looking for to my knowledge but he knows the region as good as anyone else you'll find and he'll give you honest advice.

joe napier

If you're up for the drive, the further north you go the more wilderness-y it gets. It's more than a few hours from Whistler but the area around the Skeena watershed is unmatched, in my opinion. But my opinion is colored by my bias towards steelhead. If you want trout or pike then maybe other regions are just as good or better. Generally, though, when you hear about people taking helicopters to go fishing in BC they're going steelhead fishing on some river in the Skeena watershed.

If you don't get any good leads here, call Brian Niska at Whistler Fly Fishing in Squamish. He doesn't do the type of trip you're looking for to my knowledge but he knows the region as good as anyone else you'll find and he'll give you honest advice.
I've run across this guy Niska just googling around. Seems like he knows his stuff. I'll contact him. Thanks.

the_chemist

Go North. Freshet will be an issue during August for most lower mainland rivers (especially the Squamish & Cheekamus). Also Cheekamus lake is one of the easiest hikes in Garibaldi park and receives a lot of traffic. If you wanted to stay around Whistler, I'd get a good 4x4 and see how far up the Squamish forest service road you could get.

Matt Hutch

I've run across this guy Niska just googling around. Seems like he knows his stuff. I'll contact him. Thanks.
He's a good dude. I've dealt him a bit over the years and he's always been helpful and honest.

On another note, one thing I'd give thought to is what kind of fishing you want to do. For most people on this forum BC means steelhead and salmon, and mostly the former. But there is excellent trout, pike, and even sturgeon fishing in the area. Different species can have different peak seasons as well so, for example, even if steelheading is really what you want to do most I'd give a lot of weight to whatever is most available or best in the time of year that you're there.

joe napier

He's a good dude. I've dealt him a bit over the years and he's always been helpful and honest.

On another note, one thing I'd give thought to is what kind of fishing you want to do. For most people on this forum BC means steelhead and salmon, and mostly the former. But there is excellent trout, pike, and even sturgeon fishing in the area. Different species can have different peak seasons as well so, for example, even if steelheading is really what you want to do most I'd give a lot of weight to whatever is most available or best in the time of year that you're there.

I hear you. Seems to me the various species and fish behavior is more aligned with season. Fish in the southeast don't live in lakes for the most part. Larger river trout (tailwater mostly) do seek smaller rivers to spawn, but small mountain river trout spawn in situ.
Great advise. We're time flexible so we'll target a run of some kind. A'googling I go.

deansie

What's the #1 objective, mountain biking, fishing or drinking in a cool mountain town? If fishing for trout, look east and there's plenty areas with great single track or bike parks and trout fishing. I'm no help on Whistler but riding around Whitefish and a helicopter ride followed by float in the Bob Marshall sounds like a mighty fine substitute.

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
I'd pick a lake for an August trip if it was me. Salmon run in August on the BC rivers and if you were low enough on the river you might find a bear with a hump. If I was going to a river I'd want a spot with a cabin instead of a tent.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
There's a river up by Williams lake area that has some unreal trout fishing when the Sockeye runs up the river. There's a lodge that takes a jet boat ride to get too. And fishing a river for 30" lake run rainbows would be a hoot eh!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts