Looking for plans/ dimensions for wooden net DIY

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
I would LOVE to have a beautiful long handled wooden net with a clear catch and release bag, but theyre so pricey.

The clear net material can be cheaply purchased as a replacement for nets already on the market.

My brother has a nice set of wood working tools, and I have some (SOME...LOL) wood working skills, so I was thinking of just building my own, then wood burning it and sealing it, then just purchasing the net material to attach to it
Would anyone who is into woodworking have some dimensions drawn up that I could follow? Or do I have to go into a shop and liberate some measurements myself?

Theres a killer shop here with some nice wood choices, and id love an excuse to hang out at my brothers house a bit more- work on a project and see my baby niece more than I get to now.

Thanks in advance

WonkyWapiti

I used to do a lot of woodworking but sold off a bunch of stuff because 1) I was fighting for room in the garage with the family and 2) it was fighting for time with my fishing and hunting. I'm slowly getting back into it and would love to make something like this as well. I'm currently on a business trip and will be gone hunting next week but when I have some time in about a week and a half I'll search some of my old woodworking magazines. I seem to remember plans for a net in one of them.

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
Here's one I made with simple tools in my shop. I traced a vintage Cummins net as a hoop pattern onto some plywood. Save the outside cut pieces of the plywood to use as the form. I used door casing hemlock and red cedar for the hoop, and 100+ year old bamboo from my grandfather for the handle. Clear rubber net from ebay, Seahawks green para cord to attach the net. I used an aluminum rod tube with a water tight cap filled with hot water to soak the strips to make them pliable. Lots of clamps......Hope that helps.
(Wood burned my nickname on it....:cool: )

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
Here's one I made with simple tools in my shop. I traced a vintage Cummins net as a hoop pattern onto some plywood. Save the outside cut pieces of the plywood to use as the form. I used door casing hemlock and red cedar for the hoop, and 100+ year old bamboo from my grandfather for the handle. Clear rubber net from ebay, Seahawks green para cord to attach the net. I used an aluminum rod tube with a water tight cap filled with hot water to soak the strips to make them playable. Lots of clamps......Hope that helps.

View attachment 151244

View attachment 151245
That's beautiful and more than I expect to achieve in my 1st few attempts.

Very good advice about the plywood form for bending the wood, and using the long rod tube to steam soak the wood!!

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Here's one I made with simple tools in my shop. I traced a vintage Cummins net as a hoop pattern onto some plywood. Save the outside cut pieces of the plywood to use as the form. I used door casing hemlock and red cedar for the hoop, and 100+ year old bamboo from my grandfather for the handle. Clear rubber net from ebay, Seahawks green para cord to attach the net. I used an aluminum rod tube with a water tight cap filled with hot water to soak the strips to make them pliable. Lots of clamps......Hope that helps.

View attachment 151244

View attachment 151245
Gorgeous work!

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
I have also made a couple of wood nets. It's not hard to do. What you need to do is to get your net bag first, and make the net to fit the bag. If you do it the other way round, you will never be able to find a perfect sized bag.

What I have done is to attach the net bag to a loop made from heavy wire. Adjust the loop to the right size, then trace around it, and there's the plan for your form.

N.

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
I have also made a couple of wood nets. It's not hard to do. What you need to do is to get your net bag first, and make the net to fit the bag. If you do it the other way round, you will never be able to find a perfect sized bag.

What I have done is to attach the net bag to a loop made from heavy wire. Adjust the loop to the right size, then trace around it, and there's the plan for your form.

N.
This is also amazing advice. Thank you!!!!

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
So any plans on your net?
Yes sir. I am looking at a Nomad emerger net as a model, because I like the shape of the hoop for standard trout applications. I have a local acquaintance here thatll let me borrow it to make a plywood form.

Handle will be one piece, not sure what kind of wood yet. Honestly sir, I really REALLY like the look of your bamboo handle, and theres so much killer bamboo down here..... but I dont have the patience to cure it so itll likely be a nice easy piece of wood to work with. Love the look of swamp ash or burled maple.

Hoop will be 3 pieces of wood, probably maple and a red cedar- going to be using door casing wood same as you, so itll be based off what I can pick up locally.
I have a Sage rod tube from my 2 piece thatll be long enough to steam/soak the wood

Glue and screw hoop to handle and inset the screws so I can cover screw holes with darker wood inlay circles.

One thing is certain, Ill be adding an abalone Maori Matau in the same area you woodburned your name as an inlay. I wear a jade one around my neck always, and as its a good luck charm for safe passage over water, I love the idea of having one on my net.

I havent done any woodworking in a long time, so we shall see how it goes when its time for my vision to become reality

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
Sounds good! I used hardwood dowels to secure the hoop to the handle, no plugs needed. I use Titebond III for all my fishing projects, from the net to my swelled mortised grip bamboo rods.
Not my name but one of my nicknames wood burned.......:rolleyes:

deansie

X2 on titebond III, also if your rod tube doesn't work get some cheap piping from the hardware store to soak the strips. Clamps are your friend.

PhilR

Why screws or dowels to attach the handle? Take the strips that make the hoop all the way down for the outside of the handle, with another piece of wood for the handle insert. All glued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts